Standby

Sanford Aranoff

What is your recommendation for standby:
Turn of monitor
Turn off hard disks

System standby
System hibernate

With my 2k system, I never turned off the monitor or hard disks. Turning
off power can damage a unit.

PopS

That's kind of a personal preference thing. Read up on
what each one means in Help Support, or even Google for
them.
It's mostly a matter of setting them up so they
don't happen unexpectedly when you are still using the
machine after a short time away, and how long it takes
to get back to full operability. Try them and see how
they feel. Then pick the ones you like.

Turning power off to a computer is not going to hurt
anything at all, so I've completely missed what you
meant by that. Powering off by any normal means
provided by the computer and the OS isn't going to hurt
anything or cause any damage.

HTH

Pop

"Sanford Aranoff" <[email protected]>
news:[email protected]...

Raztax

Yes, powering down the pc by normal means will not hurt aything, in fact I
recommend it. A power failure while the pc is turned on can have
catastrophic data loss as a result.
So I must have missed something here too.

Sanford Aranoff

Raztax wrote:

Yes, powering down the pc by normal means will not hurt anything, in fact
recommend it. A power failure while the pc is turned on can have
catastrophic data loss as a result.
So I must have missed something here too.

Sharon F

The issue of turning off/on originated when computer components were truly
sensitive and very, very expensive. Devices have since moved into the home
market and are designed for turning off/on as needed. Nowadays, you'll find
varying opinions - never turn off, always turn off when not needed and so
on. I think that the bottom line is: if your system cooperates going into
and coming out of standby without any problems -- do whatever fits your
work style the best.

Sanford Aranoff

The issue of turning off/on originated when computer components were truly
sensitive and very, very expensive. Devices have since moved into the home
market and are designed for turning off/on as needed. Nowadays, you'll find
varying opinions - never turn off, always turn off when not needed and so
on. I think that the bottom line is: if your system cooperates going into
and coming out of standby without any problems -- do whatever fits your
work style the best.

The hard disk is extremely expensive, in terms of the time taken to replace it. Yes,
I ghost images into an external hard disk. I just upgraded from Win 2k to XP, and
have spent two full weeks getting my software to work properly. I have my old
computer open, so that I can verify the settings. I do not look forward to replacing
a hard disk. How much money are we saving? Okay, the monitor and such can power down.

lvee

I'd be interested in seeing a post that has some statistical information on
just how many computers or hard drives suffered damage by turning them off.
I just don't see it happening.

Sharon F

The hard disk is extremely expensive, in terms of the time taken to replace it. Yes,
I ghost images into an external hard disk. I just upgraded from Win 2k to XP, and
have spent two full weeks getting my software to work properly. I have my old
computer open, so that I can verify the settings. I do not look forward to replacing
a hard disk. How much money are we saving? Okay, the monitor and such can power down.

That's how I have my system set up: monitor can power down. Hard drives,
no. I do this because I don't like waiting for the hard drives to wake up
rather than trying to avoid possible wear and tear. My desktop never
hibernates or goes into standby. Is left on for days at a time. On the
other hand, I use standby and hibernate extensively on my tablet PC.

You asked for an opinion. You got several including mine. From there,
you'll need to decide what you want to do, why you want to do it and then
go from there.