squeaky fan on graphics card

Reaction score
is this sound of impending bearing failure? Is it possible to replace a graphics card fan? I have an Nvidia Geforce Ti 4200 with AGP 8x (is this the model of chipset rather than actual card?).

Also on a related note recently I have had to replace the power supply, main fan and now this, the computer is nearly 4 years old, reasonable spec but whats the expected lifetime of one that gets alot of use? Is it a false economy to keep replacing parts or is it time for a shiny new one? Am worried about catastrophic faliure of hard drive etc leaving me without (no tv, so only source of entertainment..).

Usual helpfull comments appreciated..

Neil.

Reaction score
Forgot to metion, is a carrera ssc octan system, fairly highly recommended at time of purchase

Reaction score
rite
do u play a lot of games?

I also have a ti4200 and the fan gets to me
I just unplugged it!

thats a dangerous thing to do
but i cant stand the noise and im not a gamer!

oh yer 8x is the speed of the card!
to take full advantage u would need an 8x agp slot otherwise i beleive it goes down to 4x or 2x!

u can unplug it remove it and replace it thats for sure

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yes ... you can replace the HSF off a vid card ... finding one to fit is the problem as your card is err, old. ;)

Try overclockers ... a link is around here somewhere. :thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks for that, assumed since I could see a 3 pin plug it was removeable, once pc has been on for a while it settles down and stops making that awful noise - what about general age of PC, should I get a couple more years out of it?

I dont really use it for the latest games as I'm a cheapskate and stay a bit behind whats current as the price drops, runs everything else I use fine.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If a PC does what you need it to do ... no need for a 'new' one. :thumb:

When it gets too old, like me, give it over to "crunching" and buy a new 'super-dooper' system. ;)

:cool:

Ask a Question