Spyware pop up.

gantman

I have been getting the following pop up on my computer and want to stop it.
---------------------------
System Error!
---------------------------
Your system is infected with dangerous virus! Note: Strongly recommend to
install antispyware program to clean your system and avoid total crash of
your computer! Click OK to download the antispyware. (Recommended)
---------------------------
OK Cancel
---------------------------

This pop up comes up and when you go to the website for the antispyware it
will allow you to download part of the program and scan your hard drive and
give you a list of files to be erased. When you click to delete the file you
get a message saying you must buy the full version to delete the files. I
have Norton Antivirus, Spybot Search & Destroy, Disk Clean, Tweak Ul Registry
Cleaner, and Defrag. I am running Windows XP Home Eddition.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

The machine is already infected!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Introduction
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for review

smlunatick

Use my free Remove-it software, it will remove that malware from your
system. Download it herehttp://pcbutts1.com/downloads/tools/tools.htm

--

Newsgroup Trolls. Read about mine herehttp://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads
The list grows. Leythos the stalkerhttp://www.leythosthestalker.com, David

This web site has a "questionable" nature and show be avoided. Any
"repectable" anti-spyware software should not be buried on web sites.

Ken Blake, MVP

I have been getting the following pop up on my computer and want to stop it.

Yes you are infected, and the program producing the popup *is* the
infection. Do *not* do what it says.

pubscout

pcbutts,

I'm a bit concerned that clicking on your profile produces nothing in the
way of verification of your credentials, despite your having the MS MVP tag
attached to your name. Maybe I'm just being overly cautious, but how do I
know you're legit?

I apologize in advance if what I ask is offensive to you.

pcbutts1 [MS MVP]

I don't post a link to my MVP profile because it is a real link that
contains my real name and background. It also has links to my other
websites. I don't trust people like Robear Dyer (PA Bear) he has already
proved to me by the emails he sent in the past to my ISP that he is nothing
but a scumbag who will lie and do whatever it takes to shut me down. I don't
need the hassle. I have been using my MVP tag for a long time but I just
started using it with my pcbutts1 to prove a point. That point is they can
complain to MS all they want MS is not going to violate my privacy for them
or anybody. As you can see they don't like that very much.

Kayman

[...]

Download/execute:
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
and
Ad-Aware 2007 - Free
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html

After the software is updated, it is suggested scanning the system in Safe
Mode.
How do you boot to Safe Mode?
By pressing/tabbing F8 (or F5 on some keyboards) during re-boot.
Alternatively:
click onto Start==>Run, type "msconfig" (without quotation marks), click
OK. Then click onto BOOT.INI tab and 'check' /SAFEBOOT then OK and click
Restart. To go back to Normal Mode, you must access the System
Configuration utility again and click the General tab then click/check the
radio button 'Normal Startup'- load all device drivers and services'.
A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP

Follow up with a HJT check:
Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/HJTInstall.exe

Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

NOTE: Registration is required in any of the below before posting a log

http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?s=2e9ea4e19d3289dd877ab75a8220bff6&showforum=29
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/index.php?showforum=18