Spoolsv.exe & CPU Since Update

Don Miller

Since my last automatic August update for my W2KSP4 machine, I have not been
able to print anything from MS products. I find that process spoolsv.exe is
using close to 100% CPU. I've seen that there were problems with the SP4
Rollup with this regard, and noticed that the update MS05-043 had something
to do with the spool server. I'm guessing that MS's "fix" does not play well
with others.

The same thing happened on another W2K machine of mine.

Does anyone know what is going on, and how I can print again?

Dave Patrick

Check Event Viewer system log for errors.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Since my last automatic August update for my W2KSP4 machine, I have not
been
| able to print anything from MS products. I find that process spoolsv.exe
is
| using close to 100% CPU. I've seen that there were problems with the SP4
| Rollup with this regard, and noticed that the update MS05-043 had
something
| to do with the spool server. I'm guessing that MS's "fix" does not play
well
| with others.
|
| The same thing happened on another W2K machine of mine.
|
| Does anyone know what is going on, and how I can print again?

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi Don,

Thanks for posting here. Also thanks for our MVP Dave's advice.

Actually, there were some similar printing issues with latest updates for
Windows 2000. Don, you may refer to the following KB article for
troubleshooting first:

Users cannot print after you install a service pack, update rollup, or
printer hotfix on a server in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832219

If above KB article cannot help on your issue, you may attempt to uninstall
the latest updates one by one for a test. If the issue disappears after
the removal of certain update, you may try to install this update again to
reproduce this issue. If you can reproduce this issue as expected, please
let us know which update is the root cause.

Hope this helps!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Tom Che
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Don Miller

I received these print errors every time I tried to print since a Windows
update on 8/13/05 (as seen in the system log).

The document XXX owned by XXX failed to print on printer Brother
HL-1650/1670N-USB. Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes:
0. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 0.
Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: XXX. Win32 error code returned
by the print processor: 259.

The document XXX owned by XXX failed to print on printer Brother
HL-1650/1670N series. Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in
bytes: 0. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document:
0. Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: XXX. Win32 error code
returned by the print processor: 1801.

I've literally spent hours with this issue, uninstalling and reinstalling
print drivers, etc. and even contacted Linksys for support since when I try
to print anything over my LAN, it shuts down the network on whatever router
the computer is connected to, and then I have to power down and power up the
router (unplugging) to get the network to work again.

Thanks for any help as I could not find anyone else having these problems.

Don Miller

Yes, I checked the system log and the printing errors (copied below) began
immediately after my update on 8/13/05. I think I can find the name of the
updates listed in the system log as well.

I've read the link but I do not receive error messages as stated in the
Article. The print job seems to start, the printer icon appears in the
system tray and then goes away without any data sent to the printer. When I
try to print a test page, nothing happens, no error messages, it just hangs.
Then I found, after any attempt to print, my LAN is shut down until I unplug
the router and plug it back in.

Does this sound like the same problem to you? Thanks.

The document XXX owned by XXX failed to print on printer Brother
HL-1650/1670N-USB. Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes:
0. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 0.
Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: XXX. Win32 error code returned
by the print processor: 259.

The document XXX owned by XXX failed to print on printer Brother
HL-1650/1670N series. Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in
bytes: 0. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document:
0. Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: XXX. Win32 error code
returned by the print processor: 1801.

Dave Patrick

When you view the logged events in Event Viewer (double-click them in the
right-hand pane) in the upper right corner, third button down is a copy to
clipboard, then you can paste in the body of a reply message.

Please do so for each of the different System Log events (that are a Type:
'Error' or 'Warning') since last boot so we can see all of the event detail.

Also check Device Manager for error codes and or non-starting devices.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
|I received these print errors every time I tried to print since a Windows
| update on 8/13/05 (as seen in the system log).
|
| The document XXX owned by XXX failed to print on printer Brother
| HL-1650/1670N-USB. Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in
bytes:
| 0. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 0.
| Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: XXX. Win32 error code returned
| by the print processor: 259.
|
| The document XXX owned by XXX failed to print on printer Brother
| HL-1650/1670N series. Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in
| bytes: 0. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the
document:
| 0. Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: XXX. Win32 error code
| returned by the print processor: 1801.
|
| I've literally spent hours with this issue, uninstalling and reinstalling
| print drivers, etc. and even contacted Linksys for support since when I
try
| to print anything over my LAN, it shuts down the network on whatever
router
| the computer is connected to, and then I have to power down and power up
the
| router (unplugging) to get the network to work again.
|
| Thanks for any help as I could not find anyone else having these problems.

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi Don,

Thanks for your update.

Yes, it is possible. Based on my research, the Brother HL-1650/1670 is
using Unidrv-based Printer Control Language (PCL) printer driver. So, I
suggest that you may refer to the workaround of KB832219 for a test:

WORKAROUND
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using
Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

If you cannot wait for the server to complete the parsing of all the
Unidrv-based printer drivers, manually remove all cached binary printer
description files (.bud files), and then let them be automatically
re-created. Depending on the speed of your server, this automatic
re-creation may be completed in a shorter time. Typically, this operation
is completed within 30 minutes.

Note When Print Spooler starts, it installs a newer version of Unidrv.dll.
As a result, the .bud files are out of date. The .bud files are the
compiled versions of .ppd files and can be completely regenerated from
those .ppd files. Because of this, you can remove the .bud files. To do
this, follow these steps:

1. Stop the Print Spooler service. To do this, run the following command
from a command prompt:
net stop spooler
2. Search for all .bud files, and then make sure that they are stamped with
the current time and date. The files appear with today's date.
3. Remove all .bud files that have a date and time stamp that is before
today's date. These files are located in the following folder:
%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86\3
4. Remove the following registry key if it exists:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\PostSPUpgrade
To do this, follow these steps:a. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in
the Open box, and then click OK.
b. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print
c. On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File.
d. In the File name box, type printkey, and then click Save.

Note If you later have to restore the Print registry key, you can do so by
double-clicking the Printkey.reg file that you saved.
e. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey if it exists:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\PostSPUpgrade
f. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes to confirm the
removal of the PostSPUpgrade registry key.

Note The PostSPUpgrade registry key may reappear after you restart the
computer. This behavior occurs if other .bud files exist that have not yet
been parsed. After these files have been parsed, this registry key is
automatically removed.

5. Restart the server.
After you restart the server, printing functionality is available to users
after about 30 minutes.

If the issue persists after above steps, you may uninstall the current
driver and try to download and install the following driver:

<http://solutions.brother.com/hl1650/download/dl-generic2kxp.html>

From: "Don Miller" <[email protected]>

Don Miller

OK. I tried the workaround. Deleted two BUD files and then went to regedit
and never found a subkey PostSPUpgrade. I deleted by old printer and added a
new printer using the generic Brother drivers as provided on the link you
left. I could even see the printer "opening" and the BUD file appearing and
then tried to print a test page when it was ready. The test page error
message popped up immediately. Then, my printer was no longer recognized on
the network and I had to unplug and plug in again the router to be able to
see the printer on the network. Then I tried printing a test page again
without success. And now my printer is off the network again.

I tried the workaround on my other computer and also did not find the subkey
PostSPUpgrade.

And here is the properties from the error event:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Print
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6161
Date: 9/7/05
Time: 9:42:20 AM
User: xxxxx/xxxxx
Computer: xxxxx
The document Test Page owned by xxxxxx failed to print on printer
\\BRN_327B00\BINARY_P1. Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in
bytes: 0. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document:
0. Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: \\xxxxx Win32 error code
returned by the print processor: 259.

Dave Patrick

This article may also help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;M824339

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| OK. I tried the workaround. Deleted two BUD files and then went to regedit
| and never found a subkey PostSPUpgrade. I deleted by old printer and added
| new printer using the generic Brother drivers as provided on the link you
| left. I could even see the printer "opening" and the BUD file appearing
and
| then tried to print a test page when it was ready. The test page error
| message popped up immediately. Then, my printer was no longer recognized
on
| the network and I had to unplug and plug in again the router to be able to
| see the printer on the network. Then I tried printing a test page again
| without success. And now my printer is off the network again.
|
| I tried the workaround on my other computer and also did not find the
subkey
| PostSPUpgrade.
|
| And here is the properties from the error event:
|
| Event Type: Error
| Event Source: Print
| Event Category: None
| Event ID: 6161
| Date: 9/7/05
| Time: 9:42:20 AM
| User: xxxxx/xxxxx
| Computer: xxxxx
| The document Test Page owned by xxxxxx failed to print on printer
| \\BRN_327B00\BINARY_P1. Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in
| bytes: 0. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the
document:
| 0. Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: \\xxxxx Win32 error code
| returned by the print processor: 259.

Don Miller

Thanks, I took a look at the link but it sounds like this is just better
error reporting and does not address the actual problem that started
immediately after the my last MS security update (and, you have to call MS
to get the Hotfix???).

There's no question this problem started with the last update and I've had
to pull out the USB cable to print anything and disconnect the printer from
the LAN so that the LAN doesn't shut down every time I try to print anything
via the network.

Any more ideas?

Dave Patrick

Just the reference to ERROR_NO_MORE_ITEMS (259)

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Thanks, I took a look at the link but it sounds like this is just better
| error reporting and does not address the actual problem that started
| immediately after the my last MS security update (and, you have to call MS
| to get the Hotfix???).
|
| There's no question this problem started with the last update and I've had
| to pull out the USB cable to print anything and disconnect the printer
from
| the LAN so that the LAN doesn't shut down every time I try to print
anything
| via the network.
|
| Any more ideas?

Don Miller

I've lost track of how many times I've uninstalled and reinstalled the
printer drivers for this issue (and they worked just fine minutes before the
security update).

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi Don,

Thanks for your update. Sorry for my delayed response dut to the weekend.

Have you tried to uninstall the latest updates one by one as I suggested in
my initial reply. If the issue disappears after the removal of certain
update, you may try to install this update again to reproduce this issue.
If you can reproduce this issue as expected, please let us know which
update is the root cause for further assistance.

Hope this helps!

Have a nice week!

From: "Don Miller" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Spoolsv.exe & CPU Since Update
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 17:01:03 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general

Dave Patrick said:
Just the reference to ERROR_NO_MORE_ITEMS (259)

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Thanks, I took a look at the link but it sounds like this is just better
| error reporting and does not address the actual problem that started
| immediately after the my last MS security update (and, you have to call MS
| to get the Hotfix???).
|
| There's no question this problem started with the last update and I've had
| to pull out the USB cable to print anything and disconnect the printer
from
| the LAN so that the LAN doesn't shut down every time I try to print
anything
| via the network.
|
| Any more ideas?

Hi
I have a win2000 terminal server. after upgrade w/hotfix MS05-043 I started
to get id 6161 Print errors....
I removed the hotfix to work, and I hope MS release a less-impactive upgrade
.... :)

anyway I'll plain to reinstall the upgrade and follow the suggest cleanup

Don Miller

Well, after a respite of no printing problems because I uninstalled the four
updates that I made in August, I got around to adding them back in. In the
meantime, I had a router go bad which I have replaced which I believe
somehow relates to all of the power down/power ups, unplug cables, replug
cables that I had to go through troubleshooting.

I uninstalled KB893756, KB896423, KB899587, KB899588 (these were all
installed in mid-August). After removal of these, my printing worked fine
again. I then reinstalled KB899587, KB899588 on 9/20 and the network printer
worked. I added KB893756 on 9/21 and had no problems printing. Finally
yesterday I added KB896423 which I suspected was the problem all along
(since it had to do with spoolsv.exe) and the printing problem recurred
immediately.

Here are the Event Logs that appeared

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Print
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6161
Date: 9/29/05
Time: 7:05:27 AM
User: xxxx
Computer: xxxx
The document file://C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Don\My%20Documents\myHome.
owned by %2 failed to print on printer %3. Data type: %4. Size of the spool
file in bytes: %5. Number of bytes printed: %6. Total number of pages in the
document: %7. Number of pages printed: %8. Client machine: %9. Win32 error
code returned by the print processor: %10. %11

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Print
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6161
Date: 9/29/05
Time: 7:05:28 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Tom Che said:
Hi Don,

Thanks for your update. Sorry for my delayed response dut to the weekend.

Have you tried to uninstall the latest updates one by one as I suggested in
my initial reply. If the issue disappears after the removal of certain
update, you may try to install this update again to reproduce this issue.
If you can reproduce this issue as expected, please let us know which
update is the root cause for further assistance.

Hope this helps!

Have a nice week!

Sincerely,
Tom Che
Microsoft Online Partner Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.<[email protected]>
<#[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<#[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 17:01:03 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general

Dave Patrick said:
Just the reference to ERROR_NO_MORE_ITEMS (259)

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Thanks, I took a look at the link but it sounds like this is just better
| error reporting and does not address the actual problem that started
| immediately after the my last MS security update (and, you have to
call
MS
| to get the Hotfix???).
|
| There's no question this problem started with the last update and
I've
had
| to pull out the USB cable to print anything and disconnect the printer
from
| the LAN so that the LAN doesn't shut down every time I try to print
anything
| via the network.
|
| Any more ideas?

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi Don,

Thanks for your update.

It seems that things are clearer now. I have performed a lot of research
on printing issue after installing KB896423. Yes, many cases indicated
that KB896423 may cause some printer stop working. And there are two
methods to resolve this issue (which have been confirmed to work on similar
issues):

1. Follow the suggestion as KB832219.
2. Install a new version printer driver.

The security update KB896423 installed makes the printer spooler more
secure. However, some old drivers cannot work with the updated spooler.
Since you have tried KB832219 but no avail, I think it might be better if
you contact Brother for a new version printer driver which is compatible
with new update. Before this, you have to ignore KB896423 update
temporarily.

From: "Don Miller" <[email protected]>

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 17:01:03 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general