Speech Recognition, Task Manager, and Show Processes from all Users

LaRoux

I think I have discovered a very strange bug. It took a while to notice the
pattern but I was wondering if anyone else using Speech Recognition can
duplicate the issue.

Environment:
Toshiba Satellite A10-S129 (3+ yrs old)
Celeron 2.4 - somewhat underpowered but mostly OK
1GB
80GB Disk
Vista Home Premium - upgrade from XP Home
No Aero

Here's how I make it happen.

First scenario
1. Start Speech Recognition
2. Start Task Manager
3. Under the Processes tab, Click the button to "Show processes from all
users"
4. Task manager disappears

Second scenario
1. Start Task Manager
2. Under the Processes tab, Click the button to "Show processes from all
users"
3. Start Speech Recognition
4. CPU pegs at 100%

I'm thinking that maybe the first scenario is trying to protect me from the
second scenario. : )

This is the only Vista system that I have speech recognition configured on
so I'm having trouble verifying more than my one instance. Can anyone else
confirm or deny this?

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I have performed a test on my test machine but I cannot
reproduce your issue. I suggest you tyr the following steps to troubleshoot
this issue:

Step1
You may create a new user account to test the issue.

Step2
You may boot into Clean Boot to monitor the issue.

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the
Administrators group to follow these steps. If the computer is connected to
a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from follow these
steps.

1. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press
ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type
your password, or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear the Load
system services and Load Startup Items check boxes. You cannot clear the
Use Original Boot.ini check box.
3. On the Services tab, select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box,
and then click Disable All.
4. Click OK, and then click Restart to restart the computer.
5. After Windows starts, determine whether the symptoms still occur.
Note: Look closely at the General tab to make sure that the check boxes
that you cleared are still cleared. Continue to step 6 if all of the check
boxes are cleared. If the Load System Services check box is the only
disabled check box, the computer is not clean-booted. If additional check
boxes are disabled and the issue is not resolved, you may require help from
the manufacturer of the program that puts a check mark back in Msconfig.

If all of the check boxes are cleared, and the issue is not resolved, you
may have to repeat steps 1 through 5. However, you may also have to clear
the Load System Services check box on the General tab. This temporarily
disables Microsoft services (such as, Networking, Plug and Play, Event
Logging, and Error Reporting) and permanently deletes all restore points
for the System Restore utility. Do not do this if you want to keep your
restore points for System Restore or if you must use a Microsoft service to
test the issue.

6. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press
ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type
your password, or click Continue.
7. On the General tab, select the Load system services check box, click OK,
and then click Restart to restart the computer. If the issue continues, the
issue is with one of the System services. If the issue does not continue,
repeat this step for the Load Startup Items check box. After the issue
occurs, the last item that you selected is the item where the issue is
occurring.

Note: We strongly recommend that you do not use System Configuration
Utility to modify the Boot Advanced options on the computer without the
direction of a Microsoft support engineer. Doing this may make the computer
unusable.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support