Specific Sounds don't play

TonyD

Windows startup, shutdown, mail notification and other
specific sounds don't play. I have Windows-XP home.
Other sounds play just fine and when I go into Control
Panel/Sounds I can play all the sounds. But those
specific sounds don't play when they are supposed to.
What's going on here and how do I fix it? I've tried
uninstalling my sound drivers and re-installing... didn't
help.

Tony

Try going to the Control Panel>Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices>Change Sound Scheme and then pick Windows Default in the Sound Scheme box

----- TonyD wrote: ----

Windows startup, shutdown, mail notification and other
specific sounds don't play. I have Windows-XP home.
Other sounds play just fine and when I go into Control
Panel/Sounds I can play all the sounds. But those
specific sounds don't play when they are supposed to.
What's going on here and how do I fix it? I've tried
uninstalling my sound drivers and re-installing... didn't
help.

Ton

Malke

TonyD said:
Windows startup, shutdown, mail notification and other
specific sounds don't play. I have Windows-XP home.
Other sounds play just fine and when I go into Control
Panel/Sounds I can play all the sounds. But those
specific sounds don't play when they are supposed to.
What's going on here and how do I fix it? I've tried
uninstalling my sound drivers and re-installing... didn't
help.

Tony

Look at Item #6 on MVP Kelly's excellent site, here:

Malke

John Ski

Subject: RE: Specific Sounds don't play
From: "=?Utf-8?B?U295bGVudCBHcmVlbg==?=" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 5/29/2004 10:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time

----- TonyD wrote: -----

Windows startup, shutdown, mail notification and other
specific sounds don't play. I have Windows-XP home.
Other sounds play just fine and when I go into Control
Panel/Sounds I can play all the sounds. But those
specific sounds don't play when they are supposed to.
What's going on here and how do I fix it? I've tried
uninstalling my sound drivers and re-installing... didn't
help.

Tony
Or...if you actually want to correct the problem, go to Kelly's Site,
www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm and follow the procedure in her Top 10 FAQs,
"Where did my sounds go?"

Cheers,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Chris

Same problem here... and that don't fix it.....

it's pissed me off for 6 months and no one has a solution... grrrrrrr @ XP

Kelly

Hmmm, Chris....would you be willing to export some regkeys for me to take a
look at?