Spec my comp!

Reaction score
Okay Doke, Im not definatley buying a new computer, but I am interested in how much it would cost to spec for a new one.

I have a few of the core components such as:

22 / 20 Inch Widescreen Monitor
5.1 Speakers
Mouse and Keyboard
PSU (480W)
Case
CD/DVD drive
HDD

Im not looking for a top top top spec, like an 8800 Ultra for example, I was thinking an 8800GT would do the trick as I have read it is a good cheap(ER) card out there

CPU wise, I havnt got a clue, I think Intel are the better CPU's out there these days? For gaming anyways, or so I have read. Not really sure with CPU's so would take suggestions for a good CPU at a good price

Ram wise, ermmmm I remember VR linking some ram a while back that was more advanced tech than mine now, but cheaper lol, so Im guessing that is the ram to get!! Was something like PC6400 ??? 4gb or 2gb ... Would prefer 2 as it is cheaper, could fork out the extra cash if needed.

I dont think I would need to spend anything on a sound card, because I would hope the Mobo would include some onboard sound options. And thats the sort of thing I could always get later on when I have more disposable income!

That brings me onto the Mobo, again i'm not sure where to go with this, I would like it to be as futureproof as possible! Newest tech out there I would want to invest in

Ermmmm is there anything I have forgotten?! Budget wise, well im keeping my options open as I am undecided! But Im trying to spec it as cheap as possible!

Thanks! GEO

Reaction score
Well, if you want PCI you'll have to upgrade the mobo as it is, so go with Intel.

2GB will be sufficient, if you're running Vista - 4GB is optimal.

Sound cards are always better then onboard for obvious reasons.

P35 (What i have) is about as good as you'll get for now, unless you intend to go SLI which i highly doubt.

Reaction score
My Mobo now is PCI-E SLI, just the CPU socket is old school, thats why it's on my mind wether it is worth just slightly upgrading or doing the whole thing

Reaction score
Oh didn't know, don't you have a 6800 AGP though?

Hmm my bad.

Well, AMD are still decent ... you don't do that much gaming do you really so AMD is fine overall.

To be honest though ... 939 is sooo last year lol i'd upgrade a whole system that will last you a good 3 years.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No its PCI-E mobo, SLi boy! and a 6800GT!

Well i'll make my mind up when I see the cost of a decent set up

Reaction score
You can get a similar rig to mine for around £600 ... and that will last you and good while and futureproof for you.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
First up whats your PSU? will need to be reasonably decent.

The 8800GT's are as rare as rocking horse s**t atm so be warned.

Heres the basic upgrade from ebuyer.

1196634789.jpg

Ask a Question