Speaker Bass level help

Reaction score
I've just bought some new speakers but the bass level is too much for me and is giving me abit of a headache.The speakers themselves have no way of changing the level and i've looked through my computer settings but can't see anywhere to adjust the levels.Can someone help please

It's not windows media player i use,it's things like racinguk and youtube.
I have windows vista and the sound icon near the bottom right of my desktop says Realtek HD Audio Manager.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If the loudspeakers don't have a bass volume control and the realtek software contains no means of adjusting eq, then you will not be able to adjust the bass level.

The Realtek sound device you have is almost certainly onboard sound contained within the machine's motherboard and very rarely do Realtek supply anything but the most basic software.

There may be third party software available which will enable you to adjust eq but I'm not aware of any. And as far as I know Windows, all versions, doesn't have this function either.

Winamp has an eq setting but it's quite ineffectual.

I had a pair of 2.1 Altec Lansings without a bass level control but as I was using a Creative sound card the software allowed me to make adjustments.

As far as I know your only solutions will be to either get another set of speakers with a bass volume control or buy a soundcard that comes with software to make adjustments to eq.

Reaction score
Realtek has a built in EQ

You need to have a look in prefs somewhere because it all depends on the version and hardware you have

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Controls on the computer aside, how have you set them up? If you place them in corners they will sound boomy at times and if you place the woofer on the floor this could also attenuate the bass. Can you make adjustments and see if it makes a difference?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, all versions of Realtek I've ever used didn't have eq settings, as far as I know.

There again, I don't believe I ever fully explored Realtek, didn't need anything more at the time probably.

Reaction score
I don't have the speakers near the walls but i do have the subwoofer on the carpet but under the computer desk but i don't think that makes much difference as it's the noise coming out the speakers i need to fine tune as i won't use them for music but i do need to hear voice clearly.

Reaction score
I have found a sound page on my computer Playback

with speakers Realtek High Defininition Audio working with a small green tick.Under that there is Realtek Digital Output Realtek high definition audio working.

If i double click Speakers it gives me options
General,Levels,Enhancements,Advanced

In levels Subwoofer i've just moved down from 100 to 80 to see if that maybe helps,In enhancements it says

Select the sound effects to apply to your current listening configuration and it has things like environment,voice cancellation,pitch shift,Equalizer,virtual sound,loudness equalization

don't know if anything in there might help?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Turning the bass volume down should have made a difference - how does it sound to you now?

If still unacceptable, open the Equaliser (eq) settings and turn the bass down a little until it sounds ok to you.

The bass frequencies are on the left of the eq band as you look at it and it's the frequencies from 0 - 200 Hz you're interested in.

Reaction score
Turning down the bass helped some,the equalizer settings are you can choose 1 from a list like pop,live,club,rock,treble,bass,vocal,party,classical,soft etc. I messed about with afew and soft sounded best.
When i tryed the new sounds levels with afew things in was better but still i can't seem to get voice the right sound i'm looking for.I decided to unplug the speakers and then try the speakers from an old computer and they have a tone dial which you can use.I put the settings back to the way they were before i started messing about and tryed the old speakers and with a slight tone adjustment the old speakers sound perfect and just what i want,when comparing them with my new speakers the difference is laughable and i've now put my new speakers back in there box.It's a shame as my new speakers style and colour look good with my desk,monitor and keyboard but the old ones are grey and don't suit but i guess it's the sound quality that matters.

Reaction score
With the new versions of realtek software: If you go into speaker properties > Enhancements then scroll down on the list and select equalizer then you can edit how much low level frequency sounds you have. Just turn down the meters on the left side (low frequency sound) and you can adjust the bass however you like it. Make sure the Equalizer box is checked.

Ask a Question