SP1 - What services should be running ?

Peter

Hi,

Some programs being installed are only failing at the very last part,
the error messages are 1068: The dependency service or group failed to
start.

What are the 'standard' set of services that should be running with
SP1, and is there any information on service or group dependancies ?

Peter

David Candy

Double click a service to find out what depends on it and what it depends on.

zombie

Peter (e-mail address removed), wrote in message
(e-mail address removed):
Hi David,

Thanks, that works okay on a SP2 computer, but the one with problems
is SP1, and double-click doesn't work, in fact we can't restore or
backup. We are trying to avoid a re-install, and think either a virus
or some malware/spyware did something nasty.

I see there is a link to boot from floppy:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=55820edb-5039-4955-
bcb7-4fed408ea73f&displaylang=en

so we will try that in the next day or so.

Thanks,

Peter

Do not top-post.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services

http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/services.html

http://www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein/xpserv1.htm

http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm

Currently under construction:

http://www.blackviper.com/

You must disable system restore, determine if virus or spyware exists, then
reinstall. If you have time to kill, do it your way.

--
zombie computers.Inc
zombie computers.Pty.Ltd

q_q_anonymous

Peter said:
Hi,

Some programs being installed are only failing at the very last part,
the error messages are 1068: The dependency service or group failed to
start.

What are the 'standard' set of services that should be running with
SP1, and is there any information on service or group dependancies ?

Peter

dunnno if this will help, but

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

Wesley Vogel

Do not post at all.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Judd Puschel

the syrupy said:
Do not post at all.

How ****ing clever of you, you arrogant Most Valuable Prostitute piece of
shit, that you tell some ****wit not to post and not even support why with a
reason, even though he offered ****ed up advice, and you gave absolutely
**** all, you ****ed in the head Jew ****.

*plonk*

Peter

Do not top-post.

... huh ??

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.
You must disable system restore,

We can't disable it, but surely it is just a registry setting.
determine if virus or spyware exists,

We could only do that if we are able to install software, but we also
can't install software. Although now, after removing RICHED32.DLL (I
think that may have been infected), the AVG install nearly works, it
gets to about 99% complete, then fails with this message:

=====================
Local machine: installation failed
Initialization:
Warning: Windows Firewall activity checking failed.
Error 0x80040154
Installation:
Error: Action failed for file avgupsvc.exe: starting service....
The dependency service or group failed to start. (1068)
========================

Hence my post about services. On a 'good' XP computer, I can see two
AVG services as follows:

AVG7 Alert Manager Server Started Automatic Local System
AVG7 Update Service Started Automatic Local System

both have dependencies of RPC..

Peter

[...]

Have you considered an on-line virus and spyware scan?

zombie computers.Inc
zombie computers.Pty.Ltd
zombie computers.Ltd
zombie computers.LLP
zombie computers.AG
zombie computers.Plc
zombie computers & Co

Peter

Have you considered an on-line virus and spyware scan?

I've seen a few, but don't know if they are 'safe', and also I think
the (half dead) computer may not be able to get out to the net.
However, Winguides is a place that I've got some good tips/advice
before, and people seemed to recommend the Trend-Micro online tools:

Anti-spyware for the web
http://www.trendmicro.com.au/smb/products/spyware_scan.php

CwShredder
http://www.trendmicro.com.au/consumer/products/cws_shredder.php

Also, on the services side, the 'good' computer shows six keys in the
registry for AVG, (4 must be disabled), so as i could find no info
about how to 'add' a service (I tried net start ... ), can simply
export those 6 keys and import them to the registry on the other
computer. All that needs changing is the 'ImagePath'

Peter

zombie

Peter (e-mail address removed), wrote in message
(e-mail address removed):
That link provides the registry disable for System Restore.

Reminder:

'> You must disable system restore,'

"We can't disable it, but surely it is just a registry setting."

I've seen a few, but don't know if they are 'safe', and also I think
the (half dead) computer may not be able to get out to the net.

This is not a debate. Use an on-line scanner or not, it matters not.
However, Winguides is a place that I've got some good tips/advice
before, and people seemed to recommend the Trend-Micro online tools:

Anti-spyware for the web
http://www.trendmicro.com.au/smb/products/spyware_scan.php

CwShredder
http://www.trendmicro.com.au/consumer/products/cws_shredder.php

Also, on the services side, the 'good' computer shows six keys in the
registry for AVG, (4 must be disabled), so as i could find no info
about how to 'add' a service (I tried net start ... ), can simply
export those 6 keys and import them to the registry on the other
computer. All that needs changing is the 'ImagePath'

Meaningless to anyone but you.

Out.

--
zombie computers.Inc