Soundblaster 16PCI swirling sound

Reaction score
I have an (old) Soundblaster 16PCI CT4740 soundcard on a system running Windows 2000 Professional 5.00.2195, service pack 2

The problem is that when playing wave or mp3 files, there is a slight but definitely noticeable phasing, or swirling effect, suggesting a varying delay between the two stereo channels.

I have tried driver versions 5.12.1.2045 and 5.12.01.5017 - both from Creative and listed as the correct ones for the card - and the problem is the same.

An odd thing that might be relevant is that in
Windows Control Panel / Sounds and Multimedia Properties / Audio tab,
where the preferred device for playback is the Soundblaster, clicking "Advanced" brings up a "Speakers" tab where I can select 11 different speaker setups, including surround and quadrophonic, even though the card only has a stereo output. Changing this speaker setup has no effect at all, and neither does changing the "Hardware acceleration" and "Sample rate conversion" settings in the "Performance" tab.

Is the problem with the hardware of the old card?

Ask a Question