their OE. Thanks to ... who reported that problem). So I am
replicating here the message where I gave the fix to that
annoying problem (my apologies for the bandwidth used).

Paris, Wed 29 Oct 2003 19:27:25 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michel Merlin" <[email protected]>
Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.win2000.multimedia
From: Gaaaaaaaaahhhhhrrrrrrrr ([email protected]):

I noticed tis on Dell Optiplexes @ over 1 Ghz....

From: NoneOfBusiness ([email protected])
Subject: Re: sounds play too fast
Newsgroups: alt.os.windows2000
Date: 2002-12-23 21:57:13 PST

It only happens on them with the onboard audio from what i
have seen and it appears to depend on the order from which
you install the drivers and the intel chipset drivers. If
you uninstall the SoundMax stuff from add/remove programs
in control panel, reboot and the reinstall the software it
should go back to normal.....

I have set up about 350-400 Optiplexes (gx150, 240, & 260's)
and this is the way we have to do it if we don't install the
intel chipset drivers first.

4) How tested:
Among my PCs, only the finest one was affected, since Sept 2003:
Asus P4T533-C, P4 1.8A, 2*128 MB RAMBUS PC800,
sound on mobo, Altec Lansing ACS56.

I went in Device Manager, where I have:

- Sound, video and game controllers
|__Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM AC '97 Audio Controller - 2445

I double-clicked that last one, updated driver to the one given by Asus
(http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4T533-C&Type=Latest):

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/alc650/alc650_wdm337.zip

and wow! after the required Restart, the great sound was back.

Paris, Tue 21 Oct 2003 12:13:14 +0200

----- Paris, Message -----
From: "Sven Holm" <[email protected]>
Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.win2000.multimedia
Message: Sent: Sun 14 Sep 2003 03:37:38 +0200
Subject: Re: sample rate/pitch conversion issue - SOLVED!

Problem is solved! :)
those who are interested, look in alt.os.windows2000,
<[email protected]>

Sven