Sound still not working ... Please someone help...


G

Guest

Hi there, I hope someone reads this and can tell me how to get my sound
working again on my PC. I am tearing my hair out. The whole bunch of threads
from my first message are also attached.

Please advise....

Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
System Model
NEC Computers International P670400301
System Serial Number: 025102920642
Chassis Serial Number: 50424E
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Main Circuit Board b
Board: NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL SiS650 1.0
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 3.0B 11/02/2002
Processor a
1.70 gigahertz Intel Celeron
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Drives
41.10 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
37.36 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

CD-R/RW CW089D CD-R/RW [CD-ROM drive]
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 2F040J0 [Hard drive] (41.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n F12WAGNE, rev
VAM51JJ0, SMART Status: Healthy


**I had to do a clean install on my PC and the only thing that doesnt work
now is my sound. I have C-Median Audion device but it doesnt seem to be
working at all.

Carry xx
 
Ad

Advertisements

A

Alias

Cazzythom said:
Hi there, I hope someone reads this and can tell me how to get my sound
working again on my PC. I am tearing my hair out. The whole bunch of threads
from my first message are also attached.

Please advise....

Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
System Model
NEC Computers International P670400301
System Serial Number: 025102920642
Chassis Serial Number: 50424E
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Main Circuit Board b
Board: NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL SiS650 1.0
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 3.0B 11/02/2002
Processor a
1.70 gigahertz Intel Celeron
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Drives
41.10 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
37.36 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

CD-R/RW CW089D CD-R/RW [CD-ROM drive]
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 2F040J0 [Hard drive] (41.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n F12WAGNE, rev
VAM51JJ0, SMART Status: Healthy


**I had to do a clean install on my PC and the only thing that doesnt work
now is my sound. I have C-Median Audion device but it doesnt seem to be
working at all.

Carry xx

Did you install the sound card's drivers? What happens when you open
Device Manager? Is there a question mark next to your sound card? And,
just for grins, check to see that your speakers are plugged into the
correct socket and that the speakers are turned on.

Alias
 
G

Guest

Hi Alias,

Yes my speakers are in the right bit .... Theres a yellow excamation mark
next to C-Media Audio device AC97. It says its not functioning properly ??

Caz x
--
Merry Chrimbo & and a happy New Year !!!!


Alias said:
Cazzythom said:
Hi there, I hope someone reads this and can tell me how to get my sound
working again on my PC. I am tearing my hair out. The whole bunch of threads
from my first message are also attached.

Please advise....

Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
System Model
NEC Computers International P670400301
System Serial Number: 025102920642
Chassis Serial Number: 50424E
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Main Circuit Board b
Board: NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL SiS650 1.0
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 3.0B 11/02/2002
Processor a
1.70 gigahertz Intel Celeron
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Drives
41.10 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
37.36 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

CD-R/RW CW089D CD-R/RW [CD-ROM drive]
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 2F040J0 [Hard drive] (41.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n F12WAGNE, rev
VAM51JJ0, SMART Status: Healthy


**I had to do a clean install on my PC and the only thing that doesnt work
now is my sound. I have C-Median Audion device but it doesnt seem to be
working at all.

Carry xx

Did you install the sound card's drivers? What happens when you open
Device Manager? Is there a question mark next to your sound card? And,
just for grins, check to see that your speakers are plugged into the
correct socket and that the speakers are turned on.

Alias
 
A

Alias

Cazzythom said:
Hi Alias,

Yes my speakers are in the right bit .... Theres a yellow excamation mark
next to C-Media Audio device AC97. It says its not functioning properly ??

Caz x

Which means you need to update the drivers. If you have your
motherboard's cd with the drivers on it, right click on the entry in
Device Manager and choose Uninstall. Reboot and have your motherboard CD
handy. A new hardware bubble should pop up. Click on it and use the
wizard to browse to your MB's CD and install the drivers and see if that
doesn't work. If, for some reason, XP automatically installs its own
drivers, go back to Device Manager and right click on your sound card
and choose Update Driver and use the Wizard to browse to your CD.

Alias
 
M

Malke

Cazzythom said:
Hi Alias,

Yes my speakers are in the right bit .... Theres a yellow excamation
mark next to C-Media Audio device AC97. It says its not functioning
properly ??

Caz x

Please go back to your original thread. Do not multipost. Keep posts
about one subject in *one* thread. This makes less work for everyone.
You've already been told - either get the drivers for the soundcard
from the motherboard mftr.'s website or - as I just posted not more
than five minutes ago - disable/uninstall what you've got and replace
with a basic PCI sound card. You can buy a new sound card which will
come with drivers for under $30 usd. I just bought two C-Medias to have
on the shelf for $14.95 ea. and there were cards available for $5.

Malke
 
G

Guest

Excuse me Malke, but I don't appreciate you bossing me around. I appreciated
the help you gave me, but theres no need for the bossy attitude. I was simply
trying to get more information from somewhere if possible. I think thats
really rude of you to speak to me like that.

Oh thanks Alias for your helpful info, unfortunatley I don't have a CD.

Regards,

Caroline x
 
Ad

Advertisements

A

Alias

Cazzythom said:
Excuse me Malke, but I don't appreciate you bossing me around. I appreciated
the help you gave me, but theres no need for the bossy attitude. I was simply
trying to get more information from somewhere if possible. I think thats
really rude of you to speak to me like that.

Oh thanks Alias for your helpful info, unfortunatley I don't have a CD.

Regards,

Caroline x

Then go to Windows Update and see if the drivers are there under Hardware.

That said, I have the same sound card you have and am not happy with it
so I will be getting a Sound Blaster Live soon.

Alias
 
A

Alias

Malke said:
Cazzythom wrote:




Please go back to your original thread. Do not multipost. Keep posts
about one subject in *one* thread. This makes less work for everyone.
You've already been told - either get the drivers for the soundcard
from the motherboard mftr.'s website or - as I just posted not more
than five minutes ago - disable/uninstall what you've got and replace
with a basic PCI sound card.

In order to do that one has to do it in Device Manager and in the BIOS?

Thanks,

Alias
 
K

Kerry Brown

Alias said:
Then go to Windows Update and see if the drivers are there under
Hardware.
That said, I have the same sound card you have and am not happy with
it so I will be getting a Sound Blaster Live soon.

Alias

The C-Media drivers from Windows Update will cause problems with many sound
cards. The update site misidentifies many sound cards and incorrectly
installs these drivers. Downloading those drivers will often cause the
common problem of no sound. This driver also may cause intermittent problems
with some cards like stuttering sound, voices sound like chipmunks and other
problems. Once installed it is sometimes almost impossible to reinstall the
correct drivers. The only procedure I have found that works consistently is
to uninstall the drivers. Remove the sound card from the device manager,
Find the .inf file the driver installed and delete it. Reboot the computer
and reinstall the correct drivers that were supplied with the motherboard or
sound card.

I would personally never use drivers from Windows Update. They are often
much older than drivers available direct from the manufacturer. They also
sometimes seem to change the way the item is identified by the PnP system
and quite often make it hard to install the correct drivers.

Kerry
 
M

Malke

Cazzythom said:
Excuse me Malke, but I don't appreciate you bossing me around. I
appreciated the help you gave me, but theres no need for the bossy
attitude. I was simply trying to get more information from somewhere
if possible. I think thats really rude of you to speak to me like
that.

I'm sorry if you think it was rude and/or bossy. The fact is that
whether you know it or not (and since you are using the web interface,
you probably don't know it) you are posting on Usenet and there are
ways of posting that have evolved in order to get you the answers you
need. See below for information that will help you get the most out of
this resource.

My comments to you were not meant to hurt your feelings but to maximize
your chances of getting attention for your posts and to get good,
accurate answers. For example, people who continually multipost, post
in all capital letters, and/or don't provide enough information will
quickly annoy the people who are trying to help them. The end result
will be that they will not get the help they are seeking because no one
will reply to their posts.

Here is information to help you get the most out of Usenet newsgroups:

Since you are using the web interface, you may not realize that this is
really a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you
learn to use a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows,
but you can use Outlook Express since you already have it. Here are
some links to information about newsgroups:

Basics of Usenet:
http://groups.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=basics.html
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
explanation of newsgroups

Setting up OE as a newreader:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm

Posting details:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

http://aumha.org/nntp.htm - list of MS newsgroups
microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
working properly
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
crossposting

Malke
 
Ad

Advertisements

A

Alias

Kerry said:
The C-Media drivers from Windows Update will cause problems with many sound
cards. The update site misidentifies many sound cards and incorrectly
installs these drivers. Downloading those drivers will often cause the
common problem of no sound. This driver also may cause intermittent problems
with some cards like stuttering sound, voices sound like chipmunks and other
problems. Once installed it is sometimes almost impossible to reinstall the
correct drivers. The only procedure I have found that works consistently is
to uninstall the drivers. Remove the sound card from the device manager,
Find the .inf file the driver installed and delete it. Reboot the computer
and reinstall the correct drivers that were supplied with the motherboard or
sound card.

I would personally never use drivers from Windows Update. They are often
much older than drivers available direct from the manufacturer. They also
sometimes seem to change the way the item is identified by the PnP system
and quite often make it hard to install the correct drivers.

Kerry
Not been my experience. I do check the dates on the updates to make sure
they're newer than the ones I have and to make sure they come from the
manufacturer, not Microsoft.

Alias
 
K

Kerry Brown

Alias said:
Not been my experience. I do check the dates on the updates to make
sure they're newer than the ones I have and to make sure they come
from the manufacturer, not Microsoft.

Alias

Microsoft changes the dates on the files. Check the actual versions of the
files compared to the ones available on the manufacturer's site. Microsoft
also appears to change the way the drivers install. As I mentioned I have
often found them hard to remove and install the correct drivers. The
rollback function often doesn't work. Even uninstalling doesn't work
sometimes. Almost everyone who regularly works on computers has run into
this problem.

Kerry
 
Ad

Advertisements

L

Leythos

Excuse me Malke, but I don't appreciate you bossing me around. I appreciated
the help you gave me, but theres no need for the bossy attitude. I was simply
trying to get more information from somewhere if possible. I think thats
really rude of you to speak to me like that.

You should have taken the time to learn how to post and how Usenet
works. This is not like email, posting multiple descriptions of the same
issue do not get you additional help, in fact, after seeing the same
issue posted more than once, many will just ignore your problem.

Usenet has been around for 20+ years, you might want to learn a little
about the community before you start using it:

http://dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet/Etiquette/
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top