Subject: Sound gone
From: "Michael Kerr" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 10/26/2003 7:16 PM Eastern Standard Time

About a week ago the sound themes disappeared on my Xp
Notebook. All sound in games and music still works. The
only thing that seems to be gone are the sounds at start
up and when mail arrives etc. Not only are the sounds
gone I cannot acess the section of the Control panel on
sounds that lets me select sounds
Michael,

If you are comfortable with editing the registry, run regedit and navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER, if the (Default) is blank in the "Data" column, right-click
and delete the entry. Xp will immediately rebiuld it with the correct value
"Value not set". Also check HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21 for the same condition.

HTH,
John

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Michael Kerr

Thanks for the rapid reply I will try it.

.