Sound Distortion

Reaction score
Afteroon all,

There's an issue that i've been aware of for a while, when i eject my cd-rom drive tray i get interferance through my speakers this cn also be heard when i use my optical mouse and when playing audio cd's.
This only occurs when using XP and can be overcome by either disconnecting the CD audio cable from the rear of the cd-rom or by disabling digital cd playback, i've also noticed that when the audio driver are reinstalled the distortion tempory ceases but then returns within a few hours.
Also though i've found a fix for this i'm curious why this is happening, my theory is that it's the way XP uses the cd-roms DAC (digital to audio converter) as this only seems to happen on some drives, but why after reinstalling the audio driver does it appear to be ok, ut not?

Anyone have any ideas' about this? nothing on MS KB or google.

System Spec:

This happens on various systems the only link between them is that they're all running either XP home or Pro.

Cheers

James

Reaction score
Are you using on-board sound?

Anyway you can either test the CD drive on another machine, or test the machine with another CD drive?

btw DAC = Digital to Analogue conversion ;)

Reaction score
btw DAC = Digital to Analogue conversion
-> too many beers mate!

it happens with either on board or stand alone sound.

i don't think there's a fault with the drive as it'll work fine with win 2K and 9X.

Ask a Question