Sound Device (VIA AC '97 Audio Controller)

Reaction score
HI there
I;ve joined this forum as when I googled the problem I've been having this came up.What a great site!
On my sons computer (windows 98 -ts about 3 years old and we got it second hand about a year ago it had been wiped and was a new install of win 98 )he managed to download all sorts of weird things,which when we tried to uninstall it made the whole thing very unhappy and kept searching for insatllation files .So used my windows 98 disk to start again.
However all was ok ....we then discovered that it had no sound - windows media player kept giving a message saying no device could be found etc. So I used the Belarc adviser thing to find out the make of the sound card, and downloaded the driver. in the device manager the yellow exclamation mark has gone but still no sound.
It also won't let me put on Norton system works, keeps telling me i need to insert my DJS file sharing disk. I went to the symantec site and followed the instructions to alter the registry key but still keeps giving me the same message.
Shall I start again with format c? Or Do you think I should upgrade the thing to windows XP- will that pick up all the sound cards etc? It has 30GB of memory and 256 ram
Any help appreciated...as I want to keep him off my machine....
Mary:confused:

Reaction score
Hi rebelom59 :)

You may need to give more information regarding your system [e.g.Make & Model of Motherboard/Graphics Card/ Sound Card/etc] if you wish to get a solution to your problem.

The trouble with downloading
he managed to download all sorts of weird things
is that they do weird and wonderful things to your system!

Regarding switching to Windows XP [your system needs to meet and preferably exceed]:

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Home Edition

•PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

•128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

•1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.*

•Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor

•CD-ROM or DVD drive

•Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Hope this helps,

Reaction score
If yoiu are going to be using Windows XP, for it to be usable i would reccomend no less than a 1.5GHz Processor and 256Mb RAM.

Anything less and you WILL regret it.

Chris

Ask a Question