Sound Device (VIA AC '97 Audio Controller)

Reaction score
Hi there

Could somebody please possibly advise me as to what could be my problem as I haven't got sound on my P.C. Both Windows Media Player and Real Player cannot play songs, an error message comes up with a code ( COOD11BA). Even when I switch my P.C on, there is no smusical sound that you normally hear on start up!

Does anybody have any ideas as to what could be the problem?

:confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Where does that error pop up, is there any text that comes with that?

Also, did it stop working suddenly?

Reaction score
Loss of Sound

Dear Ian

Thanks ever so much for your reply, I finally sorted it out, I re-inserted my System and Driver C.D and re-installed the Sound Drivers as there was a yellow and black exclamation mark next to the Audio Controller in the Device Manager.

It's fine now, but originally it did stop suddenly without warning. I also had a virus on the P.C, I'm not sure if that had any bearing on the problem.

Thanks again though.

By the way, Fantastic site. I have already told my friends about it.
:D :spin: :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hi Stace, welcome to the Forum, good to have you here :)

Glad you got your problem sorted and yes, it's likely the Virus threw a spanner in the works.

Reaction score
Hi FloppyBootStomp

Thanks for the message, everyone on here is so welcoming. Lets hope that I can be of some help to someone in future.

Flippin Viruses eh?

Nite Nite:yawn:

Reaction score
Hey Stace where did you find the Virus at??? I have the same problem right now and have no idea how to fix it.

Can any one help?????

Reaction score
HI this is my first post and I am having exact same promlem as stace,only thing is I dont have my drivers disc to to install . I cant find it anywere is there any other way that I can solve the problem without disc.
I have xppro installed on pc. would appreciate any help thanks , wullbe

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If you have the same problem as stace had, a yellow exclamation in device mangler, the go to Windows update site ... while your there, ensure you download ALL the critical updates.

You will also find them on your motherboard website.

;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hi wullbe, welcome to the Forum.

Go to your motherboard manufacturer's website (if you're not sure where it is, do a Google) find your model there and you should find AC97 sound drivers listed for download.

Alternatively, visit Realtek's website and you should find what you're looking for there.

Reaction score
HI, Every1.
My name is Omar. This is my First Message and i really need HELP 4rm all u people.
I restarted my computer and after i had restarted it my sound did not work. It still doesnt work and i have tried a few things but non of them made my sound work. PLEASE PLEASE could somebody help me!

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK, when you say your sound dosn't work could it be a problem with the speakars, not the sound card?

Have you made any hugh changes just before it stopped working (Like installing SP2)

And have you tried un-muting the speakers!!!

What about re-installing the drivers?

There is a post further down where someone can't get there sound to work

KGB

(https://www.pcreview.co.uk/thread-6881.php)

also try all the things sggested before this!

Last edited:
Reaction score
dude how did u get the sound back i'vve had the same thing and have had no luck at eventhing! plzz help me.

Ask a Question