Sound Blaster Audio Problem

G

Hi, I installed windows XP a few days ago. For some reason the sound from the DVD drive or the CD drive is no longer being routed through the sound card's onboard jumpers. (you know, the wire that goes from the back of the drive to the sound card) It is a Creative SB Live 5.1 and has onboard jumpers for CD-in, Aux-in, TAD-in and S/PDIF-in.

The sound from either drive works, but it is being routed through the IDE channel as data through the motherboard to the PCI bus then to the sound card. I want the sound to be going through the discrete input wires, not through the motherboard. This does not allow the optical S/PDIF output to send Dolby encrypted sound data to my external processor, and takes up precious CPU power.

Also, when playing a CD in either drive I should be able to control the volume of the drive by moving the "CD Player" slider in the volume control box, but instead I can only control the volume by moving the "Wave" slider. The slider labels correspond to the audio card's input jumpers, but they are all being controlled by the "wave" slider. The "CD Digital" and "S/PDIF" sliders also do not work.

Is this a sound card issue, a drive issue, a motherboard issue or an XP issue? Any advice on how to get the sound routed back through the discrete onboard jumpers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

J

Jerry

Did you check the Creative web site for drivers for your sound card that are
XP compatible?

Jeff_vs said:
Hi, I installed windows XP a few days ago. For some reason the sound from
the DVD drive or the CD drive is no longer being routed through the sound
card's onboard jumpers. (you know, the wire that goes from the back of the
drive to the sound card) It is a Creative SB Live 5.1 and has onboard
jumpers for CD-in, Aux-in, TAD-in and S/PDIF-in.
The sound from either drive works, but it is being routed through the IDE
channel as data through the motherboard to the PCI bus then to the sound
card. I want the sound to be going through the discrete input wires, not
through the motherboard. This does not allow the optical S/PDIF output to
send Dolby encrypted sound data to my external processor, and takes up
precious CPU power.
Also, when playing a CD in either drive I should be able to control the
volume of the drive by moving the "CD Player" slider in the volume control
box, but instead I can only control the volume by moving the "Wave" slider.
The slider labels correspond to the audio card's input jumpers, but they are
all being controlled by the "wave" slider. The "CD Digital" and "S/PDIF"
sliders also do not work.
Is this a sound card issue, a drive issue, a motherboard issue or an XP
issue? Any advice on how to get the sound routed back through the discrete
onboard jumpers would be greatly appreciated.

L

Les Herrman

Hi, I installed windows XP a few days ago. For some reason the sound from the DVD drive or the CD drive is no longer being routed through the sound card's onboard jumpers. (you know, the wire that goes from the back of the drive to the sound card) It is a Creative SB Live 5.1 and has onboard jumpers for CD-in, Aux-in, TAD-in and S/PDIF-in.

The sound from either drive works, but it is being routed through the IDE channel as data through the motherboard to the PCI bus then to the sound card. I want the sound to be going through the discrete input wires, not through the motherboard. This does not allow the optical S/PDIF output to send Dolby encrypted sound data to my external processor, and takes up precious CPU power.

Also, when playing a CD in either drive I should be able to control the volume of the drive by moving the "CD Player" slider in the volume control box, but instead I can only control the volume by moving the "Wave" slider. The slider labels correspond to the audio card's input jumpers, but they are all being controlled by the "wave" slider. The "CD Digital" and "S/PDIF" sliders also do not work.

Is this a sound card issue, a drive issue, a motherboard issue or an XP issue? Any advice on how to get the sound routed back through the discrete onboard jumpers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Control Panel/System
Hardware Tab
Device manager

Double click the CD Drive in question to open its properties.
Click on the properties tab
Uncheck the box "Use digital CD audio for this CD ROM device"

Ask a Question