Sony Upgrade!

Reaction score
Im back to moan!! haha.

I just decided to upgrade my Sony Vaio laptop from 512Mb to 1Gb of RAM. HOWEVER, just opened it up and it has 2 x 256 modules in it and no free slots. How crap is that!! Im sure they took out the 512Mb when i sent it back to get the DVD drive repaired and swapped them!! The memory modules are not even matching for goodness sake, how bad is that!!

Rant over. :)

Reaction score
Interesting, however not alot you can do about it unless you have photos :(

So you gonna buy 2 512 sticks now then or you gonna leave it?

Reaction score
Well, my mate bought exactly the same machine from the same shop at the same time, so im going to have a look in his tomorrow night, and if it's just a single 512Mb i'll kick up a stink with them. Although, im thinking of doing that anyway, cause lets face it, it says you can upgrade to 1Gb of RAM, and it is not an upgrade if you have to throw something away is it??

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
bodhi said:
Well, my mate bought exactly the same machine from the same shop at the same time, so im going to have a look in his tomorrow night, and if it's just a single 512Mb i'll kick up a stink with them. Although, im thinking of doing that anyway, cause lets face it, it says you can upgrade to 1Gb of RAM, and it is not an upgrade if you have to throw something away is it??
yes, that is the meaning of "upgrade" ... :thumb:

user.gif

Reaction score
It isn't really! If you buy a computer which says it has 512Mb of memory which is upgradable to 1Gb, it isn't exactly fair to assume that means throwing away the existing 512Mb and buying 1Gb. Thats just ridiculous. Thats not upgrading, thats replacing.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
bodhi said:
It isn't really! If you buy a computer which says it has 512Mb of memory which is upgradable to 1Gb, it isn't exactly fair to assume that means throwing away the existing 512Mb and buying 1Gb. Thats just ridiculous. Thats not upgrading, thats replacing.

I agree with you 100%

You'd think that's how it would be, wouldn't you?

It's a shame Sony don't feel the same way and set the goalposts to suit thermselves, not yourself.

Sorry, I really do wish you luck with this but I don't think you'll get your way, you're up against a corporate bully boy.

Reaction score
lol, sounds like you have had problems with sony too floppy. I'll champion the cause of the little guy and see what happens. But you are probably right, wont get anywhere with them.

It is strange though that the memory modules they have put in dont even match, thats pretty amaturish!!

Reaction score
bodhi said:

Most/all companies split the RAM between 2 sticks because it improves performance slightly, It is quicker to access all the available memory if it is in smaller chips.

but, i do agree with you partially. it would be better if it could be upgraded easliy.

Reaction score
damn thats malicious!!!

not very nice of them is it! I tght sony was a good company!

all u can do is complain and hope that someone somewhere helps you out!

best of luck

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I checked my mates laptop which is exactly the same, bought same time and place and its the same. Two memory modules. Guess i'll just have to take it on the chin and throw them away and replace them both. Och well.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
its a shame, but you can sell them to try and cover the cost of having to buy the new RAM

Ask a Question