Solid State Hard Drives

Reaction score
Costly or not they appear to be dead fast.....i was impressed anyway.

In the runcore vid it booted really quickly(SSD).

It has left me counting how many times my loading bar passes by LOL....10, by the way.

Zzzzz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Costly or not they appear to be dead fast.....i was impressed anyway.

In the runcore vid it booted really quickly(SSD).

It has left me counting how many times my loading bar passes by LOL....10, by the way.

Zzzzz

For that price they want to be dead fast, lol

They may boot a little faster than 10,000 rpm or SCSI drives but the only main advantage as far as I can see is the quietness.

And perhaps less susceptiibility to failure.

But, let's get things into perspective here.

If you're loaded with loot - buy them.

If you're like most of us, wait a while until they become affordable.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Prices are plummetting?

A pair of 256Gb Crucial SSD drives will cost you £841.78p at time of posting.

A pair of Velicoraptor 300Gbdrives will cost you aprox £338.00 inc postage.

They'll have to plummett a bit further before anybody takes them seriously...

Each time I read one of these posts I get all excited then am always disappointed :(

There is absolutely no point whatsoever in giving prices in USD, it's a completely different market/pricing structure in the States. They're spoilt and they don't even realise it.

attachment.php

Velociraptors ain't they named after the now extinct dinasour species
laughingsmiley.gif

With traditional HDD Raid is good for speed so you need two disks. With SSD's you only really need one disk for pretty much the same speed as Raid with trditional HDD's.

happywave.gif

Attachments

• mucks.png
    mucks.png
    162.4 KB · Views: 249

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Velociraptors ain't they named after the now extinct dinasour species
laughingsmiley.gif

Yes they are and quite soon into the future the disks will be as well.

But not yet.

All the time the price of SSD's stay as they are they will be uneconomical for the average customer.

You, my Yorkshire friend, should realise this more than most as you are a confessed economically careful person.

Which is one way of describing how Northerners are with cash but us Southern Jessies have a more colourful way of describing it - tight gits :D

Oh look, it's Abarb's round.... my goodness he seems to have disappeared :eek:

Hymie Cohen said:
With traditional HDD Raid is good for speed so you need two disks. With SSD's you only really need one disk for pretty much the same speed as Raid with trditional HDD's.

happywave.gif

I was wondering this myself. It does seem to be so and I was wondering whether using a pair in a RAID 0 would actually be advantageous. Links?

As soon as SSD's become economical I'm up for some, they are definitely the future, imo. And their performance is looking to be superb, as your posted graph shows.

But let's not try to make out they're value for money right now - they're not.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You is only seeing one side of the story here with SSDs.

While read times may be PDQ, write times are typically twice as slow, and in some five times slower, as in a conventional HHD. I would love to know how many days it would take to install all your games Floppy? Don't bother trying to create a movie, quickly. Don't fit one in any media center. :D

Couple that with potential failure around 100 thousand rewrite operations for each cell ... "a laptop or single-unit server platform is the perfect place for them". ;)

Your looking at laptop 'solutions' for your desktop PCs ... shame about the i-ram, but I would love a couple of SAS 1500s. :D

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
You is only seeing one side of the story here with SSDs.

While read times may be PDQ, write times are typically twice as slow, and in some five times slower, as in a conventional HHD. I would love to know how many days it would take to install all your games Floppy? Don't bother trying to create a movie, quickly. Don't fit one in any media center. :D

Couple that with potential failure around 100 thousand rewrite operations for each cell ... "a laptop or single-unit server platform is the perfect place for them". ;)

Your looking at laptop 'solutions' for your desktop PCs ... shame about the i-ram, but I would love a couple of SAS 1500s. :D

:user:

Interesting.

I am obviously not fully versed with all the facets of SSD's.

Time to do some homework methinks...

I must confess I was surprised that the life of an SSD is finite.

I thought a piece of silicon that only has to change it's state between 1 & 0 - rather like memory - would last forever. Apparently not.

I feel things will a lot clearer in 6 to 12 months time.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=787&page=12

Flop's and Muck's have a read here. I'm not able to tell you much in a techy way but I think that this article shows that SSD's are now at the stage where READ and WRITE speeds are way above anything you will get from a mech drive.

As to RAID there are some links here in the thread or in Sexy Bex's daily news section but you'll have to look for em yerself.

Longevity for SSD's must be ok as one manufacturer is offering a ten year guarantee for their drives, can't rmember which one but it was in a recent article I read.Here is an interesting link though.

http://www.guru3d.com/news/torqx-ssd-warranty-10-years-update/

Tykes ain't tight with loot theys is just careful :p

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well i've just ordered one of these, to go with my new system. I've ordered separately as OcUK cant stock fast enough for the demand.

Will be looking at ordering the rest of my system in the next few days. :)

Just hope its here before the 22nd....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alrighty, the price works out around £230.00 with postage but over at Crucial - the manufacturers - they're selling for £278 inc postage :confused:

How odd. Link

I'd be really interested to know what you think of that drive V_R, you'll probably be the first one on this forum to try one.

I was considering one myself but WD sent me a 150Gb Velicoraptor in exchange for my 74Gb rma'd raptor so that kind of tipped my hand to a pair of mechanical disks.

Reaction score
I have to say, i had a good nose around that site and in particular the 256Gb drive.....Man they are very expensive....its 500 squid. Not exactly loose change, even if you're well off and have cash to throw about.
Can't see them ones catching on just yet lol.
Still, i wouldn't mind having one. External, mind.

Here's a question...i was thinking of getting an SSD for my hot dock station to play around with. Would it lose speed cos its an external connection through USB ??...Probably, i expect.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Here's a question...i was thinking of getting an SSD for my hot dock station to play around with. Would it lose speed cos its an external connection through USB ??...Probably, i expect.

Yes. A bit like having a bath with your boots on, really :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Alrighty, the price works out around £230.00 with postage but over at Crucial - the manufacturers - they're selling for £278 inc postage :confused:

How odd. Link

I'd be really interested to know what you think of that drive V_R, you'll probably be the first one on this forum to try one.

I was considering one myself but WD sent me a 150Gb Velicoraptor in exchange for my 74Gb rma'd raptor so that kind of tipped my hand to a pair of mechanical disks.
Yep i'll let you know, tbh i've been thinking about it for a while, figured if i'm doing it i may as well do it all properly. :)

Really looking forward to the build now, gonna order rest of the parts soon, next week sometime.

Oh and i get free shipping at OcUK. :D

15d5tnr.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Free shipping - nice. Presumably because you're a member of their forums?

I get the same thing at Scan for being a member of the Hexus Forums.

A little OT but recently I decided to stop using OCUK as they didn't use a review of the Asus D2X pci-e sound card I sent them, making me believe they were basically liars.

However, I was never messed around as much by OCUK as I have been by Scan.

I'm waiting for a refund from Scan and when I eventually get it (10 days now) I will will start a thread outlining the whole sorry incident.

Considering returning to OCUK but have to say I've had flawless customer support firstly from Kustom PC's (Absolutely THE BEST!) and E-Buyer. Aria ok too.

Now, back OT ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Result!!!! :D

Slackworth@OcUK Forums said:
Good news! I've just sent a PO across for the 128GB (delivery tomorrow).

Price has gone up unfortunately. The guys with pre-orders have got VERY lucky.

Now £250.99! :p

My order @ £222 is good though. :cool:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have the drive in my hand now. :D

At work at the mo, but pics to follow.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Here it is, it dont weigh anything! Its so light i thought the box was empty at first. lol

sn2qdk.jpg

2v00tj7.jpg

Reaction score
Very nice.Looks much the same size as a laptop HDD...See now me I wouldn't be able to wait till I have the rest of the components for my new build..I'd have installed it in my donkey with in 10 minutes of it arriving..i am quite impatient mind you..:)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ye i must admit i did nearly install the RC again just for giggles, but no i will resist.

I've just ordered the rest of my shopping list. :D

Ask a Question