Solid State Hard Drives

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Anybody here using one or more yet?

They're still a bit pricy but still worth considering when you consider the speed and reliability factors over current mechanical devices.

And here's an article about how a pair of them work in RAID 0:

"Wth a bit of that "Friday on our minds" attitude adjustment going on in the lab, we decided to RAID a pair of these SSDs up to see what they could do. Blinding speed in RAID 0 mode?"

I think in the fairly near future we'll all be using solid state devices, they've been quite a long time coming. The reliability factor has to be the sweetener but there are other considerations such as no noise, less heat and ruggedness to consider.

But, as I said, at this moment in time, they're expensive.

Here's a link to OCUK's current OCZ range of SSD's No moving parts

I think for me a pair of 128Gb devices in a RAID 0 would be the combination I'd opt for but the price is a staggering £512.00 inc postage for what is effectively a single 250Gb hard drive. Still, a tempting proposition.

This setup - 2 x 150Gb WD VelociRaptors in a RAID 0, costs £284.00 inc postage to give a comparison.

It's probably inevitable SSD prices will fall, I just wonder how soon? For myself I'm eagerly looking forward to making the switch.

I would predict as a result mechanical hard disk drive prices dropping massively, the used HDD market becoming almost non-existent and within a few years perhaps mechanical HDD's being phased out altogether.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
More like twenty years..

Some folk are still running P3's or Thunderbirds.

Cool and silent sounds great though if the price drops.

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this.

Sure, people are using P3's and Thunderbirds, I'm still using a Socket A system myself.

Why? Simply because it's a good working machine and it does what I want it to do. If a computer meets a persons needs, why change it?

The majority of hard disk sales will be from new builds; ready made systems and replacement of faulty disks.

I think in the near future in each instance using SSD's will become more common.

So, really, the fact people are using old machines is irrelevant when it comes to sales.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Price will be the deciding factor. 500 GB for around £40 at the moment. So if SSD comes down to that sort of price then folk will buy em.

Who can tell where new tech will lead us it's all in the lap of the gods.

nod.gif

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I think more like five years max myself.

So what oddz you offering on a little wager? ;)

I'll put £10 on it happening in less than 2 years...
As for Flopps comment "If a computer meets a persons needs, why change it?" very true, I belive the vast majority of people would do just fine with a P4 or something like that..With the power of computers today, how many of your average day to day users actually even use their computer to even half the capability..?

Reaction score
I have been looking at these myself and tbh I would settle for even a small one as a boot drive and maybe another a little later on for media editing and and storage untill such a time it's ready to go to disk

IN the mean time, all other stuff like music and games could go on standard drives. I get frustrated at times the amount of time it take for my system to boot however if I bought a small drive and used that primarily as boot drive that would make a huge dfference on system boot times

Any thoughts?

To add i think personally 64gig for a standard a system drive is ample as long as you have other storage available. And £145 even though its still a bit steep campared to other standard rotating drives is very fair in comparison for access speeds and durability

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
SSDs will start to come down in price very quickly, I'm sure :) To the extent that I think I'd be surprised if we still bought hard disks with moving parts in 5 years time.

Just think how quick those boot times will be :D

Reaction score
Too expensive at the moment. But the best thing I like about them (apart from speed) they are TOTALLY SILENT!

:)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Personally id rather spend a 3rd of the price and still get 3 times the capacity! :D

Reaction score
There is an interesting artical in the curret issue of "Computeractive" magazine on the subject of solid state H/Ds
It`s in issue number 281 for27 nov/10th dec.
historian

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Nice!

Am considering getting one when build a Corei7 PC in march with my no smoking money.

Am going to the USA on a work trip in feb so am gonna see how much stuff i can squeeze into my suitcase. Hopefully a couple of the G.Skill hard drives that abarbarian linked to.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'm betting that drives will have evolved some more by march. They are starting to sound rather tempting.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question