SMTP Time Out (0x8004210B) in Outlook 2007

Andrew Smith

Hello,

I have been running Outlook 2007 on Vista Ultimate for several months with 4
POP3/SMTP Email accounts all functioning correctly. On Tuesday three of the
accounts ceased being able to send email using SMTP. The only connection
between these accounts (and the only difference to the single functioning
account) is that they require me to log on to the SMTP server using the same
credentials I use for receiving.

No matter how long I set the timeout on the connection I get the following
message: 0x8004210B 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from
the SMTP Server. If you continue to recieve this message, contact your
server administarator or ISP'

I can send using identical settings on my laptop running Outlook 2003 on XP
to send and receive on all 4 accounts. I have spoken to the 3 seperate
account providers and they have not suggested anything other than
re-installing Outlook - which I have done to no avail. I have removed the
account and recreated it. I have also created a new PST file which I have
copied all my saved mails into and tried using this, again with no luck.

Incidentally the send and recieve progress suggests there are 5 mails in the
outbox where I have only one in my outbox.

I have taken the following from the outgoing log file (changing the mail
servers name for security)

2007.07.26 10:45:45 SMTP (mail.m.com): Port: 25, Secure: no, SPA: no
2007.07.26 10:45:45 SMTP (mail.m.com): Finding host
2007.07.26 10:45:45 SMTP (mail.m.com): Connecting to host
2007.07.26 10:45:45 SMTP (mail.m.com): Connected to host
2007.07.26 10:46:01 SMTP (mail.m.com): Disconnecting from host
2007.07.26 10:46:01 SMTP (mail.m.com): Disconnected from host

Any suggestions very gratefully appreciated as this doing my head in.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Andrew Smith

Update:

My only working mail account has just given up sending and suggests the
"Connection was interupted". I am stuck as to what may cause it.

I have also copied the PST file onto my laptop and can still send and
recieve OK from there.

HELP!!

Andrew

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi Andrew,

What was changed when the issue began, such as update the anti-virus
program, install another program, or others? Perform the following steps to
see if it works.

#1 check the antivirus/firewall program
============
Which anti-virus program are you using on the computer? Temporarily disable
the Internet Email Auto-protect in the anti-virus/firewall program to test
the issue.

#2 check the connection between your computer and the email server
============
1. Click Start >Run. Type "cmd" (without the quotation marks) in the Open
box, and then click Ok.

2. Type the following command
Telnet <incoming-mail-server-name> 110

Is the connection successful?

3. Repeat above steps and type the following command instead.
Telnet <outgoing-mail-server-name> 25

Is the connection successful?

#3 empty the Outbox folder
==============
1. Disconnect from the network.
2. Go to Outbox folder. Press Ctrl +A and press Delete.
3. Re-connect to the network and try to send emails again. What is the
result?

#4 create a new Outlook profile to test the issue
===============
When you say "I have also created a new PST file", do you mean that you
created a new Outlook profile? If not, perform the steps below.

A new profile is a new environment for us to use Outlook. To create a new
profile is only for a test to see if the problem is related to the corrupt
profile of Outlook. Creating new profile will not do any damage to the old
profile.

1. Quit Outlook. Go to Start menu > Control Panel > Mail, click Show
Profiles¡­
2. Select the "Prompt for a profile to be used" check box. Click Add¡­
3. Type the profile name as "new outlook profile", click Ok.
4. Select Add a new e-mail account, click Next. Follow the wizard to
configure your account in the new profile
5. After you restart Outlook, are you able to send/receive emails in the
new profile?

In addition, take a screen shot when you get the error SMTP time Out in
Outlook 2007 and send it to me at (e-mail address removed) for further
research.

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

| From: "Andrew Smith" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: SMTP Time Out (0x8004210B) in Outlook 2007
| Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:45:11 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
| Update:
|
| My only working mail account has just given up sending and suggests the
| "Connection was interupted". I am stuck as to what may cause it.
|
| I have also copied the PST file onto my laptop and can still send and
| recieve OK from there.
|
| HELP!!
|
| Andrew
|

| | > Hello,
| >
| > I have been running Outlook 2007 on Vista Ultimate for several months
with
| > 4 POP3/SMTP Email accounts all functioning correctly. On Tuesday three
of
| > the accounts ceased being able to send email using SMTP. The only
| > connection between these accounts (and the only difference to the
single
| > functioning account) is that they require me to log on to the SMTP
server
| > using the same credentials I use for receiving.
| >
| > No matter how long I set the timeout on the connection I get the
following
| > message: 0x8004210B 'The operation timed out waiting for a response
from
| > the SMTP Server. If you continue to recieve this message, contact your
| > server administarator or ISP'
| >
| > I can send using identical settings on my laptop running Outlook 2003
on
| > XP to send and receive on all 4 accounts. I have spoken to the 3
seperate
| > account providers and they have not suggested anything other than
| > re-installing Outlook - which I have done to no avail. I have removed
the
| > account and recreated it. I have also created a new PST file which I
have
| > copied all my saved mails into and tried using this, again with no luck.
| >
| > Incidentally the send and recieve progress suggests there are 5 mails
in
| > the outbox where I have only one in my outbox.
| >
| > I have taken the following from the outgoing log file (changing the
mail
| > servers name for security)
| >
| > 2007.07.26 10:45:45 SMTP (mail.m.com): Port: 25, Secure: no,
SPA:
| > no
| > 2007.07.26 10:45:45 SMTP (mail.m.com): Finding host
| > 2007.07.26 10:45:45 SMTP (mail.m.com): Connecting to host
| > 2007.07.26 10:45:45 SMTP (mail.m.com): Connected to host
| > 2007.07.26 10:46:01 SMTP (mail.m.com): Disconnecting from host
| > 2007.07.26 10:46:01 SMTP (mail.m.com): Disconnected from host
| >
| > Any suggestions very gratefully appreciated as this doing my head in.
| >
| > Thanks in advance,
| >
| > Andrew

Andrew Smith

Thanks for your help Emily.

I am not entirely sure what has happened to fix this but I will explain my
steps in case it helps anyone else with a similar problem.

I have Norten Internet Security V10 running on the machine so I followed
your suggestion of disabling it. I disbaled every single feature to begin
with and was able to send mail. In order to ascertain which part of it was
causing the email to fail I then turned on each section one at a time
sending a test mail between each activation. Eventually I had everything
working(exactly as before) and mail was still sending.

I can only assume Norton got its knickers in a twist and by disabling its
components andf then re-enabling them it all started working... Not sure
why the various reboots I have performed didn't have the same effect but
there goes. I have checked Nortons log and there is nothing dodgy showing up
for the day that email stopped sending so I can shed no further light on the
matter.

Thanks again for your help.

Incidentally is Telnet installed by default in Vista as I can't find it?

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi Andrew,

Appreciate your response and the detail information about how you fixed the
issue. The TELNET is a command in CMD.exe. We can use it in Windows Vista
(click Start > type cmd, press Enter to open cmd.exe. And then use hte
TELNET command.)

At this moment, I'd like to deliver a simple summary of this issue for
other's reference:

ARCR
***********
A (Action): Send emails in Outlook
R (Result): error "SMTP time out (0x8004210B)"
C (Cause): Norton Internet Security affects the SMTP connection
R (Resolution): disable all the features in NIS and then enable all the
features in NIS.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
contact me. It is always my pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com
> [...]

| > 3. Type the profile name as "new outlook profile", click Ok.
| > 4. Select Add a new e-mail account, click Next. Follow the wizard to
| > configure your account in the new profile
| > 5. After you restart Outlook, are you able to send/receive emails in the
| > new profile?
| >
| > In addition, take a screen shot when you get the error SMTP time Out in
| > Outlook 2007 and send it to me at (e-mail address removed) for further
| > research.
| >
| > If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
| > hesitate to contact me.
| >
| > Sincerely,
| >
| > Emily Lin,
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > ======================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

| > |
| > | Update:
| > |
| > | My only working mail account has just given up sending and suggests
the
| > | "Connection was interupted". I am stuck as to what may cause it.
| > |
| > | I have also copied the PST file onto my laptop and can still send and
| > | recieve OK from there.
| > |
| > | HELP!!
| > |
| > | Andrew
| > |
| > |
message

| > with
| > three
| > of
| > single
| > server

| > following
| > from
| > your

| > on
| > seperate
| > the
| > have
| > luck.

| > in

| > mail

| > SPA:

| > |
| > |

Brian Tillman

Andrew Smith said:
I have Norten Internet Security V10 running on the machine

Every time I read a post mentioning a Symantec program running with Outlook,
I shudder. Symantec doesn't have a very good reputation, at least with me,
for writing programs that integrate well with Outlook.

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for reply to me. If possible, please send the reply in the
newsgroup. :

Based on your message, I understand that:
1. You were able to send emails in Outlook 2007 on last Friday after
resetting the NIS.
2. However, you were unable to send emails again on this Monday. You
performed the suggestions in my first reply. However, the issue persists.

If I misunderstood your concern, let me know.

Check the following suggestions.

#1 Are you using Norton Personal Firewall software? If so, did you also
disable/uninstall it to test the issue?

#2 Configure the problematic email account in Windows Mail on the computer
with Windows Vista. Are you able to send emails in the Windows Mail?

#3 Reinstall NIS. Go to the Symantec website to check and install all
available updates for the NIS. Test the issue again.

#4 Add Outlook 2007 as the allowed software in the NIS.

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

| From: (e-mail address removed) (Emily Lin [MSFT])
| Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:24:51 GMT
| Subject: Re: SMTP Time Out (0x8004210B) in Outlook 2007
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
| Hi Andrew,
|
| Appreciate your response and the detail information about how you fixed
the
| issue. The TELNET is a command in CMD.exe. We can use it in Windows Vista
| (click Start > type cmd, press Enter to open cmd.exe. And then use hte
| TELNET command.)
|
| At this moment, I'd like to deliver a simple summary of this issue for
| other's reference:
|
| ARCR
| ***********
| A (Action): Send emails in Outlook
| R (Result): error "SMTP time out (0x8004210B)"
| C (Cause): Norton Internet Security affects the SMTP connection
| R (Resolution): disable all the features in NIS and then enable all the
| features in NIS.
|
| If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
| contact me. It is always my pleasure to be of assistance.
|
| Have a nice day!
|
| Best regards,
|
| Emily Lin
| Microsoft Online Partner Support
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com
| ======================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from this issue.
| ======================================================
rights.
| ======================================================
|

| --------------------
| | From: "Andrew Smith" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: SMTP Time Out (0x8004210B) in Outlook 2007
| | Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:48:02 +0100
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
| |
| | Thanks for your help Emily.
| |
| | I am not entirely sure what has happened to fix this but I will explain
| my
| | steps in case it helps anyone else with a similar problem.
| |
| | I have Norten Internet Security V10 running on the machine so I
followed
| | your suggestion of disabling it. I disbaled every single feature to
| begin
| | with and was able to send mail. In order to ascertain which part of it
| was
| | causing the email to fail I then turned on each section one at a time
| | sending a test mail between each activation. Eventually I had
everything
| | working(exactly as before) and mail was still sending.
| |
| | I can only assume Norton got its knickers in a twist and by disabling
its
| | components andf then re-enabling them it all started working... Not
| sure
| | why the various reboots I have performed didn't have the same effect
but
| | there goes. I have checked Nortons log and there is nothing dodgy
showing
| up
| | for the day that email stopped sending so I can shed no further light
on
| the
| | matter.
| |
| | Thanks again for your help.
| |
> [...]
| | > new profile?
| | >
| | > In addition, take a screen shot when you get the error SMTP time Out
in
| | > Outlook 2007 and send it to me at (e-mail address removed) for further
| | > research.
| | >
| | > If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
| | > hesitate to contact me.
| | >
| | > Sincerely,
| | >
| | > Emily Lin,
| | > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| | >
| | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| | > ======================================================
| | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| | > that others may learn and benefit from this issue.
| | > ======================================================
| | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

| | > |
| | > |
| the
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| message

| months
| | > with
| | > three
| | > of
| | > single
| | > server

| | > following
| | > from
| | > your

| 2003
| | > on
| | > seperate
| removed
| | > the
| | > have
| | > luck.

| mails
| | > in

| | > mail

no,
| | > SPA:
| host

| in.

| | > |
| | > |

| |
| |

Ben Mills

Exactly the same thing has happened to me on 26th July ! I have been sending a receiving happily for 6 months , now will not send my emails. Have you had any help or resolved the issue?

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi Ben,

Are you also using the Norton software on the computer? Did you check my
suggestions in the previous reply?

Emily Lin
--------------------
| From: Ben Mills
| Subject: 0x8004210B
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
| Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 01:25:15 -0700
|
| Exactly the same thing has happened to me on 26th July ! I have been
sending a receiving happily for 6 months , now will not send my emails.
Have you had any help or resolved the issue?

| EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
| http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Doug

A colleague of mine from last week is unable to send emails also. It was reported to me on Thurs 26/7/2007.
I have followed the advice in this thread (uninstalling AVG rather than disable Norton)but nothing has worked.
Has anyone got any more suggestions as I am completely lost on this one.
Thanks, Doug.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Gordon

A colleague of mine from last week is unable to send emails also. It was
reported to me on Thurs 26/7/2007.
I have followed the advice in this thread (uninstalling AVG rather than
disable Norton)but nothing has worked.
Has anyone got any more suggestions as I am completely lost on this one.
Thanks, Doug.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Well I don't know what thread you are referring to as you seem to have
changed the subject line.

Please note:
This is NOT a chat room and You are NOT posting to a forum run by
Eggheadcafe - you are actually posting to a global Usenet Newsgroup. You
will get a far better experience if you use a newsreader and subscribe to
these groups directly, rather than through Eggheadcafe.

If you must stay with Egghheadcafe then please follow Usenet custom by
quoting the post you are replying to, and replying to the thread without
changing the subject

Thank you.

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi Doug,

Is your colleague also using Windows Vista and Norton or McAfee antivirus
program?

In addition, check the following points.

#1 configure the email account in Windows Mail. Are you able to send emails
from Windows Mail? If it works fine in Windows Mail, create a new Outlook
profile in Outlook 2003/2007 to fix the issue.

#2 Turn off the Windows firewall which comes with Windows Vista
===================
1. Click Start -> Run, type firewall.cpl in the open: line. Press Enter.
2. Under the General tab, check Off (not recommended).
3. Test the issue again.

#3 Safe Mode with Network
====================
If the problem still occurs, I suggest we restart the computer in Safe Mode
with Network to see if the problem also occurs in this mode. Safe Mode with
Network uses a minimal set of device drivers and services to start Windows
together with the drivers that you must have to load networking.

1. Restart the computer.
2. Keep pressing F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
3. Choose the Safe Mode with Network, and press Enter.
4. Test the issue again.

Note: Some third party applications and some hardware device cannot be used
during Safe Mode.

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

| From: Doug
| Subject: SMTP time out
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
| Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 10:08:50 -0700
|
| A colleague of mine from last week is unable to send emails also. It was
reported to me on Thurs 26/7/2007.
| I have followed the advice in this thread (uninstalling AVG rather than
disable Norton)but nothing has worked.
| Has anyone got any more suggestions as I am completely lost on this one.
| Thanks, Doug.
|
| EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
| http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi Andrew,

I would like to check how things are going. Did you have the chance to try
the troubleshooting steps? If you have any other questions, please do not
hesitate to let me know. I look forward to your further updates.

> [...]

| > 3. Type the profile name as "new outlook profile", click Ok.
| > 4. Select Add a new e-mail account, click Next. Follow the wizard to
| > configure your account in the new profile
| > 5. After you restart Outlook, are you able to send/receive emails in the
| > new profile?
| >
| > In addition, take a screen shot when you get the error SMTP time Out in
| > Outlook 2007 and send it to me at (e-mail address removed) for further
| > research.
| >
| > If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
| > hesitate to contact me.
| >
| > Sincerely,
| >
| > Emily Lin,
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > ======================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

| > |
| > | My only working mail account has just given up sending and suggests
the
| > | "Connection was interupted". I am stuck as to what may cause it.
| > |
| > | I have also copied the PST file onto my laptop and can still send and
| > | recieve OK from there.
| > |
| > | HELP!!
| > |
| > | Andrew
| > |
| > |
message

| > with
| > three
| > of
| > single
| > server

| > following
| > from
| > your

| > on
| > seperate
| > the
| > have
| > luck.

| > in

| > mail

| > SPA:

| > |
| > |

Andrew Smith

Thanks for your help Emily.

This issue seems to periodically rectify itself however while it was evident
I tried your suggestions.

1 - Check Antivirus/Firewall. I was running Norton Internet Security 2007
(v10) which I disabled all features and tried sending and receiving,
successfully. I then restarted each element individually and tried again to
send and receive a test message between starting each one. My plan being to
highlight where the issue lay. However, I was still able to send even when
I had started all components and had Norton in the same condition as when I
had the issue. I concluded that this had 'somehow' fixed the issue.
However a few hours later the issue reappeared and I tried the same to no
avail and subsequently uninstalled Norton completely still had no luck. At
present Norton has been reinstalled and I can send and recieve OK...

2 - I have installed and run Telnet and appear to get a connection on all
servers and ports . When I can't send and recieve I do not get a response
as such on port 25. What exactly should I get back? I get a blank screen
until I type quit. When it sometimes errors and then gives me the servers
name and quits (see below). It feels like there is some sort of time delay
before the server will accept the command, however, I have not used Telnet
before so I am unsure...

220 mail2.eurofasthost.com
quit
500 command unrecognized
quit
221 Service closing transmission channel

Connection to host lost.

C:\Users\Andrew>

3 - Empty Outlook outbox. I Have tried this repeatedly since the issue
first started and it makes no difference. If I have mail being sent via the
accounts requiring a login to the SMTP server stuck in the outbox I can
intermittently send via the account which doesn't require me to login to its
SMTP server.

4 - I have created a new profile with no luck

As I say, it keep s coming and going. If it was only one account with one
sever I'd be chasing them but as it happens with more than one email server
I assume its local. Could my ISP be to blame?

Thanks again for your help.

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi Andrew,

I don't think that the issue is related to the ISP of the email accounts.
It is because that you can send/receive emails on the laptop when it
doesn't work on the PC.

This issue is mostly caused that something (firewall or something else) on
the PC affects the connection between the local machine and the SMTP server.

Nice to hear that you can send/receive emails now. In case that you cannot
send emails again, please check the Norton program and Windows firewall.

> [...]

one
| sever I'd be chasing them but as it happens with more than one email
server
| I assume its local. Could my ISP be to blame?
|
| Thanks again for your help.
|
| | > Hi Andrew,
| >
| > I would like to check how things are going. Did you have the chance to
try
| > the troubleshooting steps? If you have any other questions, please do
not
| > hesitate to let me know. I look forward to your further updates.
| >
| > Sincerely,
| >
| > Emily Lin,
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > ======================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

| > |
| > | I am not entirely sure what has happened to fix this but I will
explain
| > my
| > | steps in case it helps anyone else with a similar problem.
| > |
| > | I have Norten Internet Security V10 running on the machine so I
followed
| > | your suggestion of disabling it. I disbaled every single feature to
| > begin
| > | with and was able to send mail. In order to ascertain which part of
it
| > was
| > | causing the email to fail I then turned on each section one at a time
| > | sending a test mail between each activation. Eventually I had
| > everything
| > | working(exactly as before) and mail was still sending.
| > |
| > | I can only assume Norton got its knickers in a twist and by disabling
| > its
| > | components andf then re-enabling them it all started working... Not
| > sure
| > | why the various reboots I have performed didn't have the same effect
but
| > | there goes. I have checked Nortons log and there is nothing dodgy
| > showing
| > up
| > | for the day that email stopped sending so I can shed no further light
on
| > the
| > | matter.
| > |
| > | Thanks again for your help.
| > |
| > | Incidentally is Telnet installed by default in Vista as I can't find
it?
| > |

| > steps

| > test

| > Open

| > you

| > new
| > corrupt
| > old

Add¡­
| > the

Out
| > in

| > so

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > the
| > | > |
| > and
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > message

| > months
Tuesday
SMTP

| > response

| > 2003
| > removed
| > which

| > mails

| > the

| > no,
| > host
| > host

| > in.

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

nntpstuff

At this moment, I'd like to deliver a simple summary of this issue for
other's reference:

ARCR
***********
A (Action): Send emails in Outlook
R (Result): error "SMTP time out (0x8004210B)"
C (Cause): Norton Internet Security affects the SMTP connection
R (Resolution): disable all the features in NIS and then enable all the
features in NIS.

I also had a similar issue beginning about July 26 with Outlook 2003,
NAV 2006 on XPP SP2.

In Norton AntiVirus I had the Office Plug-In disabled.

Toggling this on and off seems to fix the problem.

I would like to hear if this solves the problem for others.

Thanks,
VRS_TECH

Gordon

I had this issue

Posted and mailed.
What issue?

Please note - the "forum" you are posting in actually leaches off the
Microsoft News server in order to make it appear far busier than it really
is. As most of us use the MS News server, we have no idea what the "same
issue" is, neither can we see the post you are supposedly replying to, as
you didn't quote anything in your post.
You would do us and yourself a big favour by subscribing to the MS News
server direct, and not through this "forum".