Smoking Ban?

What do you think of the UK smoking ban?

• I smoke and I'm against it

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I don't smoke and I'm against it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I smoke and I think its a good idea

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I don't smoke and I think its a good idea

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Sitting on the fence - some parts of this are good.

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
As most of you already know I am a smoker also I don’t drink alcohol of any description as I cant abide the smell, alcohol is as disgusting to me as smoke is to none smokers I am neither for or against either. [I am sitting on the fence] :D Having a fag

I don’t visit pubs/clubs of any kind, now I ask you all this; If you were alone and had to board any kind of public transport and found there were only two vacant seats and no standing allowed, now you have a simple choice as the next transport home is a week later, you have no money and have no choice but to stay on the transport [1] the first seat is next to a person whom obviously is a smoker as you can smell the smoke but not smoking [2] The second seat is occupied next to a person who is obviously absolutely drunk and is so intoxicated can not drink any more, is inevitably going to vomit and more than likely over you if you decide to sit next to that person?

Where would you sit?
No you cant sit on the drivers lap:D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
itsme said:
Where would you sit?

Every smoker stinks of smoke and is surrounded by a haze of chemicals and fumes (whilst smoking). I have rarely seen a drunk person throwing up over someone near them.

I choose the drunk! :p

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Originally posted by sexy bex

what would be the consequenses of removing polluting vehicles from the public? Developed countries would most likely grind to a halt.

A lot
We as a species are lazy.. next time you go out, Walk ...or Cycle ...or at least think do I need to use the car ?? it will preserve the environment

I will point out 1 thing ...next time you go to a supermarket and wander down the mother and baby car spaces ..count them ..how many cars have baby seats ..i will absolutely guarantee it is not 100%...and that is not me as a cyclist observing human trends ... it is me as a concerning human being .. people are only interested in what can benefit them ...

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chris Postill

Order of Priority to reducing emissions:

Smoking
Power Stations
Industry
Cows
Cars
Where did this info come from Chris ? :confused:

Reaction score
I am in favour of the smoking ban. All the "arguments" from smokers on here are ridiculous. "you will die anyway" etc etc. Its pointless, if i have a "habit" of walking into a busy bar/pub swining a spiked metal ball on a chain and saying to the people i had just decapitated "you were going to die sooner or later mate" it wouldnt really be a valid excuse would it?! :)

I think Ian has a valid point, people smoking while you eat is just rude. It is up to the pub to have no smoking areas where people are eating, but i know friends that are smokers, and they wouldnt even think of lighting up in the smoking section of a restaurant until everyone had finished eating.

B

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Personaly myself I tend to think that, just because someone's addiction is legal does not give them the right to inflict it on other people. I am very well aware that many smokers are considerate and would never dream of smoking in a public eating place & as an ex-smoker I definitely appreciate the effort that goes into this. It isn't easy leaving a conversation or whatever with friends in order to pop outside for a smoke. I always appreciate it & on occasion have accompanied smoker friends outside to chat while they have their fag.

I would never dream of telling someone that they should or should not smoke, we all have our little vices & frankly, what they do in the privacy of their own home or other private environment is entirely their own business. But in a public place I would object to having to breathe their smoke as much as I would object to having someone pour a glass of their vodka down my throat.

***Oh, & as to people who compare smoking in public buildings to drinking... I don't know about over there, but over here a resaurant or pub needs a liquor licence to serve alchohol.
Drinking in a public establishment is not a given right & any retaurant has the right to forbid the consumption of alchohol (or indeed food not puchased there) on the premises.

I do not even have the right to take my lunch into a restaurant & eat it... What on earth gave smokers the notion that their smoking in the same retaurant is some sort of right?
Are they descriminating against you? NO. They are not forbidding smokers. You can eat in the restaurants & drink in the pubs all that you like. All that has been forbidden is the act of smoking. A recreation that has been shown to injure other people. Sorry, but to me that sounds fair enough.

The law was changed over here about a year ago & at the time I mostly sat on the fence as I have many friends who smoke. But after a year of the new law. Of being able to pop down to our pub without having to wade through the smoke. To eat where the air is clear. Frankly it is wonderful. & although I couldn't really imagine pubs without that omnipresent cloud of smoke beforehand, now it is just normal. And, despite quite a bit of griping at first, most of my friends who smoke also prefer it this way now, now that they've gotten used to popping outside for their smoke.

Reaction score
It stinks, its vile, its disgusting, horrible, smelly, outcasting, inconsiderate, harmfull, expensive, a drain on economic resources, dangerous, deadly, tarnishing,

AND FAR TOO MANY OF MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS HAVE DIED FROM SMOKING RELATED ILLNESS.

It should be banned from everywhere most of all places where people eat. YUKK

There my point made!

Ask a Question