Hurricane Katia heading for UK

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hurricane Katia heads for the UK

Severe storm warnings have been issued by the Met Office as fears grow that Hurricane Katia could hit Britain bringing gale force winds, flooding and transport chaos.

katia_1992842c.jpg
Image 2 of 2
Hurricane Katia is spinning its way across the Atlantic Photo: GETTY

By the time it reaches the UK, on Sunday night or early next week, it is likely to have been downgraded to a tropical storm.

But this will still mean winds of up to 80mph, flooding on the coast caused by massive waves, uprooted trees and damage to buildings.

Although it is unclear where the storm will hit, warnings have been issued for Scotland, Northern England, Wales, Northern Ireland and some parts of the South West.

Katia, a category 1 hurricane with 90mph winds, caused seven-metre waves on the US coast before spinning across the Atlantic through the weekend.

The tail end of tropical storms often hit the UK at this time of year, causing extensive damage. The mos recent Hurricanes Bill and Grace caused severe gales in 2009.

However Britain’s ‘Great Storm’ 1987, which killed 18 people and uprooted 15 million trees, was not caused by a hurricane.
Dan Williams, of the Met Office, said this weekend’s weather caused by a different front would be typically unsettled for autumn.
He said forecasters could be keeping a close eye on Hurricane Katia to see how it will land in the UK so that weather warnings can be upgraded.
“All areas could potentially see impacts of Katia, with wind gusts of 60 to 70mph and possibly up to 80mph,” he said.
“There is a risk of downed trees, structural damage and disruption to transport.
“It is quite rare for us to be affected by a hurricane, and although Katia will be a post-tropical storm by the time it reaches us - it is maintaining a fair amount of its strength, which is why we have issued weather warnings.
“The weekend will be wet and windy, with gusts of up to 40mph - and 50mph in Wales - but this is a different weather system from Katia, which will cause problems on Monday.
“It will still be windy on Tuesday, before staring to clear on Wednesday.”
Story source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/8752674/Hurricane-Katia-heads-for-the-UK.html

Looks like it's going to get a bit wet 'n' windy folks... hang onto your hats... and batten-down everything else.
surprised-021.gif

Reaction score
:(Thanks for the warning TC so it will be baton down the hatches on Sunday and Monday:eek:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Hurricane Julie has already been through my flat. Erm forgot to post some stuff for the other half and I was on Fartbook when she got in. OUCH!!! :blush:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
And the BBC's take on it, love them daily newspapers....

True, the daily papers love to exaggerate and talk-up a story.... but, on the other hand, wasn't it the BBC's Met Office weatherman (poor old Michael Fish,) who laughed-off rumours about the approach of a "hurricane" back in 1987?

That's the one which demolished 15 million trees and killed 8 people. Maybe not a true "hurricane" because, as the experts tell us, the UK doesn't get them.... but whatever one cares to call it, it was a pretty significant storm.

There isn't a lot we can do about it, but I guess it doesn't hurt to at least be aware that in some areas, things could possibly get a tad rough.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I wonder if there is any sugar left on the shelves. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Sharpen the chainsaw - check
Fuel and oil for chainsaw - check
Diesel for car - check
Trailer hitched - check
Hood fitted to coat - check
Hip flask filled - check

Me is ready. :D

Now where are them pesky fallen trees :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
True, the daily papers love to exaggerate and talk-up a story.... but, on the other hand, wasn't it the BBC's Met Office weatherman (poor old Michael Fish,) who laughed-off rumours about the approach of a "hurricane" back in 1987?

True, dat, but you know I have a pet hate for 'popular' tabloid journalism ;) Is The Telegraph still a broadsheet? I have no idea.

I remember that hurricane of '87 well. I had been working at a school just outside of Wandsworth, near the Robin Hood roundabout on the A3, when it blew up. I left the school at 16:00 hours and arrived home in Greenwich around 21:15 hours. That's a journey that normally takes less than an hour.

Much dodging and detouring round fallen trees and chimney stacks.

The last heavy gales I experienced here broke the neck of my Yukka plant, hope that doesn't happen again.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Is The Telegraph still a broadsheet? I have no idea.

I think it's still a broadsheet.... but can't be absolutely certain, because we never buy newspapers these days. ;)

floppybootstomp said:
I left the school at 16:00 hours and arrived home in Greenwich around 21:15 hours. That's a journey that normally takes less than an hour.

Sheesh! That must have been a nightmarish journey.

Our bungalow is pretty much surrounded by trees - a few really big 'uns too, such as a couple of oaks which form part of an old, broadleaf hedge. So I'm hoping they will stay firmly anchored and won't decide to keel over in the direction of our roof! :eek:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's already starting to blow up a storm here, very blustery, squalls, some occasional light rain. Oddly enough though it's very mild.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Well the sky has gone really dark in just the last half hur and extremely windy :-(

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Theres a hurricane in our toilet here almost everyday, we just close the door and let it blow over..:lol: :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well after that little flurry yesterday afternoon what's happened? Nothing. Nowt. Zilch. Bugger-all. In fact I've never known it to be less windy here. Tis dark and raining occasionally but that's it.

I suspect Katia may have taken a shine to Paris. Hope so :)

Ask a Question