Smoking Ban?

What do you think of the UK smoking ban?

• I smoke and I'm against it

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I don't smoke and I'm against it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I smoke and I think its a good idea

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I don't smoke and I think its a good idea

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Sitting on the fence - some parts of this are good.

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Now that a smoking ban is going to be introduced in public places in the next couple of years across the UK (England having just voted, Scotland/Wales/NI already done so), what do you think about it?

I know we have quite a few smokers here, so we should have lots of people on both sides ;) Any smokers for this ban, or non-smokers for it?

Reaction score
For it. Nasty habit - smokers should not smoke in places where non smokers can go - they have a right to smoke free air :)

Reaction score
put a poll on this post admin

lets see what we all think here on pcr

personally I cant wait for the ban
I feel like a little kid again waiting for santa claus to come down the chimney pot on xmas eve
thats how much excitment fills my heart when I think about this matter!

smoking stinks
ppl that smoke stink
and ppl that hang around ppl who smoke (like me sometimes) STINK TOO!

Reaction score
'i dont smoke and i think its a good idea!'

lol
how abt...........

'smoking stinks and I cant wait for the ban!'

come on admin lets get straight to the point!
even if this is a family site!

:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well that is one way of putting it ;) I picked those ones so we've got for/against for smokers/non-smokers.

I'm not a smoker, can't stand smoke - but I've picked "sitting on the fence"... I hate it when I'm in a pub or having a meal somewhere, and someone is blowing smoke into my face from a meter away as it really spoils things if you don't smoke yourself. But, if social clubs and private clubs are banned too (where loads of people smoke) then I think thats a bit unfair - I don't mind if people smoke as long as it isn't disturbing other people that don't.

I think its inevitable that smoking will gradually become less common, as it is widely accepted that its not doing the body any good.

From a selfish point of view, I think its a good idea - but if I was in that situation, I'd probably disagree.

Reaction score
got ya

Ian Cunningham said:

I hate it when I'm in a pub or having a meal somewhere, and someone is blowing smoke into my face from a meter away as it really spoils things if you don't smoke yourself.

I know how you feel, I really dislike this too.

This is my worst feeling alongside the pain generated from constipation!
:)

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
As a life-long non-smoker, I am totally in favour of the ban. :thumb:

Whilst I do feel sorry for smokers who are having one of their pleasures restricted, I equally feel it unfair that my future health may have been repreatedly put at risk just because I wish to enjoy a bar-meal or a drink with my mates.:thumb:

Sales of "Fabreeze" will certainly being dropping once the ban is in! :p

The Island's politicians had a vote on this a year ago, and as a result, we should see a local ban being introduced during this summer. I was also working in Ireland just after their ban was introduced, and the positive effect was amazing. Even the smokers understood, and for the "social" smokers it helped them give up (if they really wanted to).

To those smokers who disagree I'd be really interested to hear what you think on my comments as a non-smoker!;)

*If I've offended anyone, sorry, it wasn't intended*

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I hate smoking, and it really puts me off going out for a drink, as I know I'll come back smelling like an ashtray!

I can understand how smokers may feel hard done by, as in their opinion their right to smoke is being taken away. But when people smoke, you can't help but breathe their second hand smoke! This makes it different to taking drugs or drinking to excess, as it has direct negative effects on those surrounding them - something that cannot be escaped.

To be honest, I can't really understand why anyone would want to smoke. It detroys your lungs and arteries, stains your skin and teeth and makes long-term smokers look 10 years older than they actually are. All for what... a bit of nicotine?! Bleugh! :p

All hail the ban! :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I am a heavy smoker and I think it is a good idea. :D

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Agree it should be banned in some places but not all . I am a non smoker who used to smoke.
Ian as for eating in a place that smokers use is an admission you dont mind them lighting up .
I dont drive but should they ban cars so me and my children do not get ill ?? . http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/369169.stm
Its all about being sensible me thinks :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Rush said:
Ian as for eating in a place that smokers use is an admission you dont mind them lighting up .

Thats the problem you see, many pubs that are nice have smokers in them - so if all the non-smokers went and non smokers didn't then it wouldn't be fair... however, if if smoking was banned then they would be driven out too - which they wouldn't feel was fair either.

That car statistic is very interesting indeed - I didn't know that at all. A good bit of pub trivia for me to pass on :D

Reaction score
places like restaurants should be non-smoking but like the private clubs and socail they should be aloud

Reaction score
I have been a smoker for 52 years and yes with a ban it will help me to give up, so I am in favour of the ban for people who do not smoke.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Originally posted by w.bishop
I have been a smoker for 52 years and yes with a ban it will help me to give up, so I am in favour of the ban for people who do not smoke.

If it helps 1 person to give up then it has my backing :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Lepers ... social outcasts ... silent killers.

Victimization ... bugger off and leave me alone to die in peace. :rolleyes:

I started smoking when smoking was a Social Habit ... everybody around me smoked. There was NO indication then of the "problems" associated with smoking. The Government of the day either did not care or were covering it up in favour of the revenue that was levied on us.

Don't hide behind "you are polluting my air" crap either ... there is more **** in the air than me puffing on a ciggy.

Every person who smokes, is going to die
Every person who never smokes, is going to die

Every person who is "overweight", is going to die
Every person who is never "overweight", is going to die

Every person who uses illicit drugs, is going to die
Every person who never uses illicit drugs, is going to die

Every person who drinks alcohol, is going to die
Every person who never drinks alcohol, is going to die

Every person who fails to heed the advice of health advocates, is going to die
Every person who devotedly follows all the advice of health advocates, is going to die

Now the question comes ... since we are all going to die, no matter what precautions we may take ... is it justifiable for health advocates to force people to conform to certain lifestyles which those advocates claim will maximize the length of a person's life?

Death is inevitable, but health advocates such as the anti-smoking industry claim that they are justified in using punitive pressures of various kinds to force people to conform to their definition of "a healthy lifestyle".

Eat Drink & be Merry! ... for tomorrow we Die ;)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Death is inevitable, but health advocates such as the anti-smoking industry claim that they are justified in using punitive pressures of various kinds to force people to conform to their definition of "a healthy lifestyle".

Hmmm... yes, no one will live forever.

But if you have the choice as to whether you want to live with a pair of lungs that look like this:
BODIES_smokers_lungs.jpg

...then I would much rather have the choice to not breathe your air, thank you very much :)

Reaction score
Yeah everyone will die, but at what age and of what? :)

I'm sure the NHS would love to see a drop in the cases of lung cancer and heart disease...

But then what would happen to the population :-O

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I'm sure the NHS would love to see a drop in the cases of lung cancer and heart disease...

I wonder if the NHS makes more from smoking related taxes than it spends on treatments? I don't know, but I'd be interested to find out :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Rush said:
Agree it should be banned in some places but not all . I am a non smoker who used to smoke.
I dont drive but should they ban cars so me and my children do not get ill ?? . http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/369169.stm
Its all about being sensible me thinks :)

You have a good point there :)

Playing devils advocate here... what would be the consequenses of removing polluting vehicles from the public? Developed countries would most likely grind to a halt. Whereas if you look at what would happen by removing smoking in public places... what are the real negative effects?

Ask a Question