Smart Heating Controls - your thoughts?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
We've got a Drayton LP522 heating/hot water controller, plus two zone valves (with old mechanical thermostat dials) on our current system. In a couple of months I'll be decorating the utility room where the heating controls are, so I'm considering upgrading the system to one of the new smart heating ones.

Ideally, I'd like a system that will make use of the existing wiring - I don't think that wireless controls would work between the two zone thermostats. From what I can tell, there is a new Drayton smart heating system - but it's very basic and doesn't have smart TRVs available. The Tado looks like it can re-use the wiring and also has smart TRVs available, but it looks like it's more confusing when there are 2 heating zones and hot water to control.

Have any of you guys gone for Hive/Tado/Nest/Evohome, etc...? If so, what are you thoughts?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Standard digital Honeywell stat here with Honeywell ST9400C controls, nothing smart, haven't really considered it tbh. If I were, I'd probably go for a Nest.

Edit: That said, the Honeywell Evohome looks the best, but at a cost + the smart TRV's mean it will soon add up.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, the Evohome is the one I like, until I did the calculator and added up costs :lol:. I may go for that, but add a few TRVs at a later date. Dropped them an e-mail this morning to check compatibility :).

Ask a Question