slow startup of Workstation service

George G. Smith

Why does my PC take so long to start up. I have traced the problem to the
workstation service. When I disable it my PC starts up perfectly every time.
When I enable it I have to wait about two minutes at the welcome window
befor logging in. Otherwise when I login immediately, the login takes about
2 minutes and not all the programs startup correctly. I have to then log out
then in again to get all the startup programs to load properly.
I have a pentium 4 PC running XP pro and it is networked via a bridge to a
printer network via a hub and a Firework connection to a workgroup PC also
running windows XP Pro.

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

The 2 minute delay is a service deadlock. Usually it happens when one
service's startup depends on another service starting. These can be
brutally hard to track down. I believe most people get into this situation
by changing their service startup settings without knowing what they are
doing.

wallanganda

George said:
*Why does my PC take so long to start up. I have traced the proble
to the
workstation service. When I disable it my PC starts up perfectl
every time.
When I enable it I have to wait about two minutes at the welcom
window
befor logging in. Otherwise when I login immediately, the login take
about
2 minutes and not all the programs startup correctly. I have to the
log out
then in again to get all the startup programs to load properly.
I have a pentium 4 PC running XP pro and it is networked via a bridg
to a
printer network via a hub and a Firework connection to a workgroup P
also
running windows XP Pro. *

I had the same problem with that hanging workstation service.
I disabled all my network adapters via the device manager.
The problem disappeared.
I found out that the Intel Wireless LAN adapter was involved.
Enabled WLAN adapter in device manager => delay in worstation service
Disabled WLAN adapter => OK

I installed the latest Intel driver, but that didn't fix the problem.

I went to device manager, uninstalled the Intel WLAN network adapte
and rebooted.
After reboot the adapter was found as new hardware and the drivers wer
installed automatically.

From that time the problem was fixed.

Hope that helps somebody out there - It took me a lot of work to fin
that out.

Juerge

-
wallangand

Joined
Jan 27, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I went to device manager, uninstalled the Intel WLAN network adapte
and rebooted.
After reboot the adapter was found as new hardware and the drivers wer
installed automatically.

From that time the problem was fixed.

Hope that helps somebody out there - It took me a lot of work to fin
that out.

I registered with this forum just say say thanks! I have had several machines over the last few days that i have been working on with this exact problem. +1 to you sir!

XP_

Joined
Oct 28, 2013
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
George G. Smith wrote:
> *Why does my PC take so long to start up. I have traced the proble
> to the
> workstation service. When I disable it my PC starts up perfectl
> every time.
> When I enable it I have to wait about two minutes at the welcom
> window
> befor logging in. Otherwise when I login immediately, the login take
> about
> 2 minutes and not all the programs startup correctly. I have to the
> log out
> then in again to get all the startup programs to load properly.
> I have a pentium 4 PC running XP pro and it is networked via a bridg
> to a
> printer network via a hub and a Firework connection to a workgroup P
> also
> running windows XP Pro. *

I had the same problem with that hanging workstation service.
I disabled all my network adapters via the device manager.
The problem disappeared.
I found out that the Intel Wireless LAN adapter was involved.
Enabled WLAN adapter in device manager => delay in worstation service
Disabled WLAN adapter => OK

I installed the latest Intel driver, but that didn't fix the problem.

I went to device manager, uninstalled the Intel WLAN network adapte
and rebooted.
After reboot the adapter was found as new hardware and the drivers wer
installed automatically.

From that time the problem was fixed.

Hope that helps somebody out there - It took me a lot of work to fin
that out.

Juerge

-
wallangand

You, kind sir, have helped me so much.
It took a lot of time for me to find that workstation service was the one that bugs me, mostly because I went alphabetically, and you helped me to resolve that the wifi card driver needed a smack on the head...

Thank you for your kind post!

Dinko