Slow Start Up with Norton - Registry Checker?

Rob C

Like many others I have found that the combination of upgrading to XP
(Professional) and using Norton Anti Virus (2005) has slowed the start
up of my Computer to a crawl (now about 5 minutes). I suspect the
Norton Program is the culprit but am working through the various ideas
that have appeared in Banter to see if they help. Two things though:

* Is there anyway to speed up the AntiVirus Program?
* Can anyone recommend a Registry Checker/Fixer that doesn’t cause
conflicts with Norton (preferably Freeware)?

Thanks in anticipation

Claude =?iso-8859-1?Q?LaFreni=E8re?=

HI *Rob C* :
Like many others I have found that the combination of upgrading to XP
(Professional) and using Norton Anti Virus (2005) has slowed the start
up of my Computer to a crawl (now about 5 minutes). I suspect the
Norton Program is the culprit but am working through the various ideas
that have appeared in Banter to see if they help. Two things though:

* Is there anyway to speed up the AntiVirus Program?
* Can anyone recommend a Registry Checker/Fixer that doesn’t cause
conflicts with Norton (preferably Freeware)?

Thanks in anticipation

Well...

5 minutes ?

A well maintened PC under W xp boot in an average of 30 *seconds*:
an example:
http://cjoint.com/?goq0XURUPm

1)

Let me give you a copy of a post to Chuck in this news group about the same problem:

«
Subject: Re: I messed up Tony's suggestions on speeding up my computer.
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:32:25 -0400

*Not so good news*:
the "zillion" of Symantec Norton stuff are, as far as I know,
the most important factor of slow down...

On one side tour PC is malware free (very good!)
On the other you pay your security by a system slow down...
(Check also the maintenance check-up in my previous post...)

I guess you have to check the settings of those Symantec Norton
programs. Some settings may be changed...

What's the opinion of Symatec poeple about this issue ?
Remember : you pay for this . You are their client...
May be they can help you to fix some parameters of their programs...
»

You know, I'm not an "Anti-Symantec" ( or anti-Norton...)
but is it acceptable to pay this price ($$$ + slowdown) for your security ?

My opinion is
( this is only an opinion : I do not pretend to be an "expert"):

It's possible to have a secure Windows XP without that kind of slow down.
(I'm a former client of Symantec ;-) )

2) About those "Registry utilities, cleaner, optimizer and blah blah, blah..."

Any of those "Registry somewhat" can do that job...

Check this and decide if one of those "tools" can be usefull :

«

From: Claude LaFrenière= <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Registery Cleaner
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:09:52 -0400

»

Hope this help.

Let us know.

:)
--
Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :)

«My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
http://climenole.serendipia.net
Soon on www.msmvps.com
Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

Jim

Rob C said:
Like many others I have found that the combination of upgrading to XP
(Professional) and using Norton Anti Virus (2005) has slowed the start
up of my Computer to a crawl (now about 5 minutes).
I also have XP Pro and Norton Anti Virus 2005, but mu system boots much much
much quicker than that.
Jim