Slow saving ...but fast copying?? W2K Server

G

I am having the same problem with all of the machines on my network (w2k, XP) - that when they save a file to a network share (mapped drive) they crawl [this is saving from within a program]. but if I manually copy the same file from explorer (after saving it locally), the transfer flys! It's like 10 seconds if I manually copy it over, and over a minute if I save directly to the mapped network drive

Any ideas what could cause this
It's driving me nuts

Thanks,

Kel

L

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

DNS set up properly, presuming you're using AD?
Everyone (server & workstation NICs, managed switch ports if you have a
switch) locked down at a specific speed/duplex setting instead of dreaded
autosense?

G

I should also have mentioned.... this behavior is new since I deployed a domain. When we were peer to peer file saves were very fast. The DNS server seems to be configured right... so I don't know. Throw me your best ideas. I really do appreciate it.

-Kel

G

Yes the DNS server is set up correctly, I have gone over it a few times (to be sure) and have walked through it with a collegue of mine, so I am pretty sure it is not a DNS issue. Browsing seems fine, and machines are finding each other. Perhaps I am missing some niggly setting in DNS, but I don't know what it could be

I don't have managed switches here, so I can't force them out of autosense - but I have done some experimenting with the workstations in this regard. I locked down a workstation, and the servers adapters - then I removed all other workstations from the net so that it just was: WORKSTATION 1 --> SERVER 1 (DNS/DOMAIN CONTROLLER) --> SERVER 2 (DHCP) and still I had the problem of slow saving

I don't think its a switch problem, nor an adapter problem, since all the machines were running (and saving) fine before I switched over to a domain environment from a workgroup environment. Maybe it is DNS, but I am at my wits end to find out what to change

Thanks for your response

-kel

Ask a Question