Network Mapping being disconnected

James de Freitas

My network drive mapping is being disconnected after
aboput 10 minutes of inactivity. MY COMPUTER
displays a red "X" on the icon of the mapped drive.

Problem still exists. The client PC is W2k Professional
SP4.

I have 2 NIC's in my PC, I being with the DC and thge
other to a private Workgroup; I have tried creating the
mappings both manually (map network drive) and also with
login scripts (net use) and same problem

If I click on the drives they will eventually open, but it
does mean that some apps like my backups at night are
failing.

None of the other PC's on the network have this problem

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kristin Thomas [MSFT]

Hi James,

You could try disabling auto-disconnect. Also this article gives you a lot
of the reason for the red-x problem including a lot of third-party programs:

328475 ErrMsg: "The Local Device Name is Already in Use" - Red X
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328475

Best Regards,

Kristin Thomas, MCSE, MCP
Microsoft Enterprise Network Support

from your issue.

| From: "James de Freitas" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "James de Freitas" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Network Mapping being disconnected
| Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 05:57:17 -0800

| My network drive mapping is being disconnected after
| aboput 10 minutes of inactivity. MY COMPUTER
| displays a red "X" on the icon of the mapped drive.
|
| Problem still exists. The client PC is W2k Professional
| SP4.
|
| I have 2 NIC's in my PC, I being with the DC and thge
| other to a private Workgroup; I have tried creating the
| mappings both manually (map network drive) and also with
| login scripts (net use) and same problem
|
| If I click on the drives they will eventually open, but it
| does mean that some apps like my backups at night are
| failing.
|
| None of the other PC's on the network have this problem
|
| Any help would be greatly appreciated

J.C. Hornbeck [MSFT]

It sounds like the AutoDisconnect feature at work. Check out knowledge base
article 297684 - Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost
(http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297684). This article has instructions
for modifying the timeout.

--
J.C. Hornbeck, MCSE
Microsoft Product Support

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
more timely response. Thank you!

This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.