slow Explorer file copy across fast pipe

Greg Barwis

Hello -

I have a Windows 2003 server in Virginia, and another Windows 2003 server in
Los Angeles. Each has a public gigabit NIC connected directly to the
Internet, and a private gigabit NIC on a private non-blocking gigabit LAN.
The private LANs are tunneled over the Internet between the two sites.

Both machines have fairly fast Internet connections. I am able to sustain
around 15 Megabytes per second when downloading data from the Internet (for
example, from a third server I have in Austin) via ftp or http.

When I transfer files between the two machines in Windows Explorer, using
either a mapped drive letter or a UNC path, I find that my average transfer
speed hovers at around 300 Kilobytes per second. What could be causing
this, and how can I resolve it?

Initially I thought it might be a problem with the tunnel, but I got roughly
this same performance when I [briefly] opened the public interfaces on our
routers and did a UNC connection over the Internet using the public IP
address (so the traffic bypassed the tunnel).

-greg

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Greg,

Could be a couple of causes here. First, if the one NIC is fast (the NIC for the Internet
connection), then we can assume that there is nothing wrong with the OS, the read/write to the
hard drive, etc.

So that leaves a few itmes to check.
1. The internal NIC drivers - check for updates
2. The internal NIC settings - if this is a gigabit adapter, we will want to be sure we are matched
correctly with the switch we are plugged into, such as 1000mbs @ full duplex or whatever the
switch settings are.
3. Along the path of the internal NIC to the other side can have a device, switch, router, etc. that
is passing packets slower than the card can handle.

So let's take a look at what we have:
VA <-> LA is it slow only on the internal NICS? Is is slow for notepad files as well as whatever
the other files are?
VA <-> Austin same questions
LA <-> Austin same questions

You can do some ping tests to see the response times ot see if there are any notable
differences.
Also, do ping tests setting the packet sizes different to see if that might be a cause, start with a
ping packet size of 1500 and work down to about 1200 and see if you notice any differences
between connections.

One of the items we have seen that slows a file copy down is antivirus which causes a
slowdown because it is scanning the files (packets) as they are sent/received or both.

I think at this point a few tests as indicated above and then if the problem is not found, I would
suggest opening a ticket with Microsoft PSS for support on this. They can do traces to see
where the slowdown may be happening.

Hope this helps,
Gary

--------------------
'--'From: "Greg Barwis" <gbarwis at coh dot com>
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'Subject: slow Explorer file copy across fast pipe
'--'Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:46:32 -0600
'--'
'--'Hello -
'--'
[...]
'--'Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
'--'
'--'Thanks,
'--'
'--'-greg
'--'
'--'
'--'
'--'

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.