File Transfer Speeds

Harrison Midkiff

Hello:

I was transferring a 6 GB file from my Win2003 server to another server.
Both servers have Gigabit NIC cards on them and are on a Gigabit switch.
The transfer took longer than I think it should have. During the transfer I
check Network under Task Manager and noticed it was only running at 20%. I
think it should have been running higher. Anyone have any ideas?

Harrison Midkiff

Phillip Windell

Gigabit isn't always what it is "cracked up" to be. It may be fast, but is
also more "picky" about the quality of the environment hardware. Nic
Drivers can also cause grief.

If a cable is not of sufficient quality the speed of the Gigbit link can
actually become slower than what a 100mbps would have been over the same
cable because of the mass of re-transmissions due to errors.

Sometimes the Auto-detect for the speed doesn't work very well either and it
is more dependable to manually "lock" the speed to a particular setting on
all the hardware devices in the "path".

Phillip Windell

Find out if one of the other servers in the over-all system has accuarte
time (maybe synced from some kind of time source). Then on your DC, the one
with the PDC role if you have more than one DC, will sync its time to that
machine. It can be done with the Net Time in a batch file run once a day
with the Task Scheduler. The task can even be set to run under particular
credentials.

Phillip Windell

Ignore that. It got posted to the wrong thread.
Sorry.

Phil

--
Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

Harrison Midkiff said:
Hello:

I was transferring a 6 GB file from my Win2003 server to another server.
Both servers have Gigabit NIC cards on them and are on a Gigabit switch.
The transfer took longer than I think it should have. During the
transfer
check Network under Task Manager and noticed it was only running at 20%. I
think it should have been running higher. Anyone have any ideas?

Harrison Midkiff

Harrison Midkiff

Thanks for replying to my post.

I have hard coded the speed to 1000 and I am using Cat6 cables. I can
change the cable out.

Harrison Midkiff said:
Thanks for replying to my post.

I have hard coded the speed to 1000 and I am using Cat6 cables. I can
change the cable out.

I don't have any other suggestions other than what I said. Also keep in
mind that you will never get 100%. If you did that one file transfer would
monopolize the whole "wire" until it was finshed.

--
Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com
Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
http://www.isaserver.org/articles/ISA2004_AccessRules.html

Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/1/8/918ed2d3-71d0-40ed-8e6d-fd6eeb6cfa07/ts_rules.doc

Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Guidance
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/Guidance/2004.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/Guidance/2000.asp

Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/partners/default.asp

Deployment Guidelines for ISA Server 2004 Enterprise Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/isa/2004/deploy/dgisaserver.mspx

Richard G. Harper

You can try using a tool like Robocopy to copy files faster but in the long
run, 20% bandwidth usage for a simple file copy is pretty much to be
expected whether on 10mbps, 100mbps or gigabit.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (e-mail address removed)

Jason Tan

Hello,

Thank you for your post

The Networking tab provides an indication of the network traffic for the
connections on the local computer. In order to show a visible line on the
graph for network traffic on any interface, the view automatically scales
to magnify the view of traffic versus available bandwidth. So in a low
traffic situation, the full height of the graph may represent only 5% of
available bandwidth for the connection. When traffic increases beyond that
level, the scaling will be reduced to give a less magnified view of the
current traffic (for example, to display 10% of the total available
bandwidth). The greater the percentage shown on the graph, the less is the
magnification of traffic with respect to available bandwidth. The scaling
factor is indicated on the graph.

Networking overview
<http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en
-us/taskman_whats_there_w.mspx?mfr=true>

Additionallly you may detect a network sniffer by the following two tools.

Description of Promqry 1.0 and PromqryUI 1.0
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=892853

Hope the information helps.

Best Regards,

Jason Tan