slow boot and response

G

I'm not sure if my problem is hardware or software... Computer after boot up is very slow to respond to clicks of mouse - can take up to 2 minutes after double-click for programs to open. Items in Systray are slow to load, the last couple take several minutes. Problem is somewhat random, sometimes everything works just fine. After about 15-20 minutes everything seems to work fine until next reboot. Occasionally I notice the green light on floppy drive come on well after computer has booted and WinXP has loaded, no floppy is in drive... Computer is ~ 18mo. old; 1.6 GHz processor, 512 MB ram, 40 GB WD harddrive, ATI Radeon 7000, WinXP Home edition. I've done the below without any noticable effect:
1. Chkdsk and Defrag, no errors, everything looks good
2. I keep Norton up-to-date daily, ran full Norton scan - no virus
3. updated Adaware, scanned computer, a few "tracking cookies" deleted
4. Checked BIOS event log: Pre-boot Error - "CMOS Checksum Error" (I don't know what that means...)
5. At Christmas I purchased and installed new HP 7660 printer; in BIOS settings, this printer was listed as "2nd Hard Drive"??? I disabled this "hard drive" and rebooted, but no change in my problems..
6. I've updated drivers for ATI video card.
7. I've been up-to-date on WinXP operating system, run Windows Update weekly.

Is there anybody out there that can help this novice?

Steve

G

Gerry Cornell

Ask a Question