SlipStream IE6SP1

Tom Hagen Jr

Right now I'm trying to build a slipstream image and have most of it done, but I would like to have IE6 SP1 installed from the start and not have to have the setup called in the cmdlines.txt file as this puts a problem of installing hotfixes in the SVCPACK.INF file and SVCPACK folder. I've found an article how it integrate IE5.5 into an Office install but again want to do it in the OS install to eliminate the hotfixes I would need to apply to each computer after the install.

Also looking for a way to have the explorer open automatically with the Folder bar on the left already there. Found two articles that change the Windows Explorer Default View (see Article KB221878 and in the Windows 2000 Resource Kit - Chapter 9 - Managing Files, Folders, and Search Methods (section My Computer).

The Article: - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221878
SUMMARY
When you open Windows Explorer using the Windows Explorer shortcut on the Start menu, the My Documents folder is selected by default. This article describes how to change the default view to My Computer.
Changing the Windows Explorer Default View to My Computer
1.. Click Start, point to Programs, and then point to Accessories.
2.. Right-click Windows Explorer, and then click Properties.
3.. In the Target box, replace the current text with the following text:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

4.. Click OK.

To return Windows Explorer to the default setting, type the following text in the Target box:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,::{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}

And the resource kit:

Working with Files and Folders
This section describes changes to how files are accessed, methods for customizing the Windows Explorer user interface, and policies you can set to control how the interface works.

My Computer
My Computer provides access to local drives, mapped network drives, and Control Panel. System folders, such as Network and Dial-up Connections, Scheduled Tasks, and Printers, are now available through Control Panel.

By using the Address bar, you can quickly access other desktop shortcuts, such as My Network Places, the Recycle Bin, and Internet Explorer.

By default, when you open My Computer, you do not see the Folders Explorer Bar, which displays folders in a hierarchical relationship in a pane on the left side of the user interface.

To display the folders, you can choose Explorer Bar from the View menu and then select Folders. Enabling the Folders option is only in effect until you close My Computer. The next time you open My Computer the folders do not display until you choose the option again.

You can configure Windows 2000 Professional to show the Explorer Bar every time you open My Computer. To do this, use the following procedure:

To permanently display the Explorer Bar in My Computer

1.. In My Computer, click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
2.. Click the File Types tab, and then under Registered file types, click Folder (the extension is N/A).
3.. Click Advanced.
4.. Under Actions, click Explore, and then click Set Default.

Can anyone help me out with putting these in place as the default? I've tried doing the changes and then doing a sysdiff comparison of a before and an after image but the registry changes are not easily found in the files.

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Dear Tom,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, we cannot slipstream IE6SP1 into Windows 2000 Installation
image. Are you deploying the image to computers with identical hardware
configurations? If so, besides using cmdlines.txt, we may try Sysprep. We
can install IE6SP1 in the master image and then deploy it to all the
clients.

Regarding the second question (the "Folders" pane), I have analyzed the
method mentioned in Resource Kit, and found that these changes are recorded
in the following registry entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell]
@=

For example, if we import a reg file with the following content, the
"Folders" pane in the "My Computer" window will be enabled:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell]
@="explore"

Instead, if we import another reg file with the following content, the
"Folders" pane in the "My Computer" window will be disabled:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell]
@=""

We can configure the unattended file to perform the above registry changes
during the installation.

I hope the above information helps. Thank you for using our news groups.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

> [...]
until you close My Computer. The next time you open My Computer the folders
do not display until you choose the option again.
| You can configure Windows 2000 Professional to show the Explorer Bar
every time you open My Computer. To do this, use the following procedure:
| To permanently display the Explorer Bar in My Computer
| 1.. In My Computer, click the Tools menu, and then click Folder
Options.
| 2.. Click the File Types tab, and then under Registered file types,
click Folder (the extension is N/A).
| 3.. Click Advanced.
| 4.. Under Actions, click Explore, and then click Set Default.
|Can anyone help me out with putting these in place as the default? I've
tried doing the changes and then doing a sysdiff comparison of a before and
an after image but the registry changes are not easily found in the files.
|--
|Tom Hagen Jr. MCSE
|IT Professional
|[email protected]

Tom Hagen Jr

Thanks for the registry changes.

I thought that you would tell me about IE6 not being able to slipstream. Is this going to change on the newer OS? As the Internet
Explorer is ever changing and we don't always have the same computer hardware as time passes, so sysdiff won't work.

Tom

--
Tom Hagen Jr. MCSE
IT Professional
Joe Wu said:
> [...]

until you close My Computer. The next time you open My Computer the folders
do not display until you choose the option again.
| You can configure Windows 2000 Professional to show the Explorer Bar
every time you open My Computer. To do this, use the following procedure:
| To permanently display the Explorer Bar in My Computer
| 1.. In My Computer, click the Tools menu, and then click Folder
Options.
| 2.. Click the File Types tab, and then under Registered file types,
click Folder (the extension is N/A).
| 3.. Click Advanced.
| 4.. Under Actions, click Explore, and then click Set Default.
|Can anyone help me out with putting these in place as the default? I've
tried doing the changes and then doing a sysdiff comparison of a before and
an after image but the registry changes are not easily found in the files.

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Dear Tom,

Thank you for your feedback.

Actually, this is not a problem in Windows XP systems. We can slipstream
Windows XP Service Pack 1 which contains IE6SP1.

However, for Windows 2000 systems, currently the only solution is to use an
unattended file. (From your first post, I noticed that you have tried it. )

Thanks!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

|From: "Tom Hagen Jr" <[email protected]>
|Subject: Re: SlipStream IE6SP1
|Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:05:23 -0600
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup
|
|Thanks for the registry changes.
|
|I thought that you would tell me about IE6 not being able to slipstream.
Is this going to change on the newer OS? As the Internet
|Explorer is ever changing and we don't always have the same computer
hardware as time passes, so sysdiff won't work.

|Tom

|--
> [...]
folders
|> do not display until you choose the option again.
|> | You can configure Windows 2000 Professional to show the Explorer Bar
|> every time you open My Computer. To do this, use the following procedure:
|> | To permanently display the Explorer Bar in My Computer
|> | 1.. In My Computer, click the Tools menu, and then click Folder
|> Options.
|> | 2.. Click the File Types tab, and then under Registered file types,
|> click Folder (the extension is N/A).
|> | 3.. Click Advanced.
|> | 4.. Under Actions, click Explore, and then click Set Default.
|> |Can anyone help me out with putting these in place as the default? I've
|> tried doing the changes and then doing a sysdiff comparison of a before
and
|> an after image but the registry changes are not easily found in the
|> |