Sleep mode

Jerry

I have a new 530S that works very well except one problem. It goes easily
into sleep, but no matter what paramaters I change, from custom to default
settings, it pops out of sleep by itself within 5-10 minutes, no matter
what I do.

I have even tried putting a heavy pad under the mouse so no vibrations would
distutb it.

I want it to go to sleep when I click on the sleep icon in the start menu
and stay asleep until I activate it with the mouse or keyboard. Even
allowing sleep for 5 hours (the maximum in the choice boxes) would be ok.
But nothing I have tried, even with the help from Dell tech support keeps it
from popping out of sleep by itself.

(e-mail address removed)

Michael

Jerry,

The choice box 'put the computer to sleep '(maximum 5 hours) is for how long
after no activilty to place the computer into sleep mode, not how long to
keep it there.

The computer will also wake if activity is seen on the network. For testing
purposes disconnect your network cable, put to sleep and see if it stays. If
it stays asleep then you will need to disable 'wake on lan features'.

I understand that some wireless mice have a problem in that they keep
talking to the computer which wakes it up. Do you have a wireless
mouse/keyboard?

Michael

Jerry

Thanks for the info. It is the network activity that is causing it to
awaken. I went to "network access" and disconnected and it stayed asleep.
However, when I went back to re-connect it took many steps to do this and to
'repair' the network connection. Is there an easier way? How do I get to
'wake on lan features"?

The choice box 'put the computer to sleep '(maximum 5 hours) is for how
long after no activilty to place the computer into sleep mode, not how
long to keep it there.

The computer will also wake if activity is seen on the network. For
testing purposes disconnect your network cable, put to sleep and see if it
stays. If it stays asleep then you will need to disable 'wake on lan
features'.

I understand that some wireless mice have a problem in that they keep
talking to the computer which wakes it up. Do you have a wireless
mouse/keyboard?

Michael

Frederick C. Wilt

Jerry said:
'repair' the network connection. Is there an easier way? How do I get
'wake on lan features"?

Go to device manager and locate you network device. You may see a tab in the
dialog box for power management. Check there.

Regards