Windows 10 PC going to sleep

Reaction score
Had Win 10 for some time now, no problems until now.
Over the last several days, when I return to my office I find my monitor screen has switched itself off because my pc has gone to sleep.
The monitor is supposed to do this automatically when it gets no signal for a time so thats as it should be.
My pc is set to 'Turn off the display' 'Never', 'Go to sleep' 'Never' so I can't understand why it keeps doing it?
Anyone out there got a clue?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Change those two settings to something else and then change them back to your original settings. Reboot and then do it all over again. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
From Win 95 onward, Microsoft have never 'designed' their OS for the PC, they think everyone uses a laptop. Therefore the 'power' setting flavour (correct English UK spelling) has always been to turn power off of everything. Makes laptops last longer.

Go to "Settings / System / Power & Sleep" ... and click on "Additional power setting" ... choose custom power plan and turn on EVERYthing ALLtheTIME ... then you can simply use the off button on the monitor if needed. :)

old way to navigate to settings is ... Control Panel / Hardware & Sound / Power Options.

:user:

Reaction score
Thanks nivrip & muckshifter.
nivrip, followed your instructions to the letter. Thought I had cracked it as the pc stayed on a bit longer but it eventually went to sleep.
muckshifter, in Win 10 it is 'Power options', 'chose when to turn of the display' & 'change when the computor goes to sleep', both set to 'NEVER'.
The dam thing still goes to sleep. Whats strange is this has only been hapening for the last few days?

Reaction score
muckshifter, have just tried somthing else, Power Options / Create a Power Plan / Turn off the Display - Never / Put the Computer to sleep - Never.
Will let you know if it works.

Reaction score
No it did not work, pc keeps going to sleep regardless of what I do with the settings?

Reaction score
I will try anything but don't know how to do that?
Regedit in Win 10 searchbox gives me -see attached.

Attachments

• Regedit.pdf
    122.5 KB · Views: 227
Reaction score
Just to let you all know, had 4 sessions with Microsoft tech’s mostly a waste of time so I asked to talk to a ‘higher level tech. He analysed my PC and said the motherboard was not listed as supporting windows 10.

Having tried everything, including ‘Don’t Sleep app. I gave up and purchased a new PC. No more sleep problems. So it looks like an update from Microsoft on the 6 year old PC (Motherboard Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L) caused the problem. I think it must have been a Win 10 update that caused it because it had worked fine for 6 months after I upgraded to Win 10 Pro. I have been told that the ‘Sleep’ issue is a common problem.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you had to get a new PC in the end, but thanks for letting us know what was causing the problem!

Reaction score
Can't say I'm really surprised to hear a new PC solved your problems. I too have a desktop that houses some pretty ancient hardware and software. However, after being hounded for ever by MS to upgrade from W7 to W10 and being reassured by them that my hardware and software was all compatible, I finally relented. First thing I discovered was that three of my most important programs wouldn't work any more. I managed to work around that but a litany of other issues finally convinced me that I had made a bad choice. So now I'm back with W7. One day before I croak I'll buy a new PC and I expect that W10 will work on it. But for now I'm quite happy to poddle along with an OS that's almost as good as XP.

Ask a Question