Site To Site VPN DNS Setup

StinkyDuck

Ok...I have now successfully established a site to site VPN connection
between two offices. I am able to ping between each of the networks
across the VPN tunnel. My only issue now is how should the DNS be
configured to allow pinging by computer name?

-StinkyDuck

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

I will use WINS as name resolution for the VPN.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

Robert said:
I will use WINS as name resolution for the VPN.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com

"StinkyDuck" <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
wrote in message Ok...I have now successfully established a site to site VPN
connection
between two offices. I am able to ping between each of the networks
across the VPN tunnel. My only issue now is how should the DNS be
configured to allow pinging by computer name?

-StinkyDuck
How would that be setup? I tried to play around with WINS and DNS but
I'm not quite clear on how to setup it up.

-StinkyDuck

StinkyDuck

Does anyone know how to get name resolution working? Searching the internet
for an answer has not brought me much luck so far. Any suggestions on how
to setup dns/wins for name resolution across a site-to-site persisten vpn
connection would be greatly appreciated.

-StinkyDuck

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Do you have WINS server in your LAN?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Does anyone know how to get name resolution working? Searching the internet
for an answer has not brought me much luck so far. Any suggestions on how
to setup dns/wins for name resolution across a site-to-site persisten vpn
connection would be greatly appreciated.

-StinkyDuck

StinkyDuck

Yes we have one. Isn't WINS outdated? Shouldn't we be using DNS instead of WINS?

-StinkyDuck
Do you have WINS server in your LAN?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Does anyone know how to get name resolution working? Searching the internet
for an answer has not brought me much luck so far. Any suggestions on how
to setup dns/wins for name resolution across a site-to-site persisten vpn
connection would be greatly appreciated.

-StinkyDuck

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

This search results may help,

Does Windows 2000/2003 domain needs WINSNetBIOS and WINS name resolution is required only on mixed-mode (Windows 95 ... Point-to-Point node type relies on WINS servers for NetBIOS name resolution. ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/server/wins1.htm

Name resolution on VPNConnection issues on DC, ISA, DNS and WINS server as VPN server How to assign DNS and WINS on VPN client manually Name resolution Issue in a VPN client ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/nameresolutionpnvpn.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE