Site problem .. Or Explorer?

Reaction score
Hi this is just a quick one .. i seem to be having problems with the PC review Site however no one else seems to be reporting it so i fear it may be a setting i have in internet explorer... however this is the only site it has problems with... this is what happens..

The left hand bar loads fine.. ie user menu, latest articles, newsgroups... However the centre section will only load at the bottom of where the afore mentioned blue bar finishes .. which involves allot of scrolling indeed...

I wish i could do a screenshot to show you...

But apart from that... The new site looks fantastic and much more professional absolutly super work Ian....
I can tell it has improved greatly since i was here last a very big change noticed :)

Also its great to see You and Bex again..... any advice on this screen thing would be appreciated..:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah... that is a problem when the page is narrow - are you using quite a low resolution? This problem appeared when the new look launched, but I thought it was now fixed.

Are you using the windows maxised?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I get that problem sometimes when my favourites are on the left of the screen - it puts everything at the bottom. I think it's because I've got quite a small monitor (15" LCD), but I'm afraid I don't know how to resolve it without buying a bigger monitor!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I stopped moaning about it ... ;)

Despite having a 19" monitor I don't, and will not usually, view web pages at full screen. This is the only site I visit I have to scroll side to side, but that is only if I need to read the adds on the right. :D

I still think it would be better to have the Forum Open on it's own page with nothing on either side. :p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Once I've got time over the summer, I'll try to make a special "forums only" layout which members can access if it makes it easier. I was supposed to make one a while back for the old site, but I'll see if its possible with this one.

I think it should be possible to make two layouts, as vBulletin has some template features built in :)

Reaction score
Windows all maxamised and the Res is 1024 x 786 on a 19" CRT monitor

Ive just tried reloading it in a new Res of 1600 x 1200.. same thing.. although the res 1600 x 1200 is absolutly fantastic for making you sqint.. even in such a high res it dosent seem to want to fit.... which is a shame...

Bex does ypur LCD monitor hurt your eyes?.... the one i got with the PC downstairs really hurts my eyes... its a 17 LCD mag... although im planning at the moment to take it back to the store...

Well thanks for letting me know that its not just me...lol

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Everythings OK on mine and always has been. Im using a 17" flatscreen at 1280 x 1024 res.....:thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Spooky Mouse said:
Windows all maxamised and the Res is 1024 x 786 on a 19" CRT monitor

Hmm, it should work even at 800x600 - let me have a play and see what I can do! Does this happen on all pages, or just a few?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
OK, I have an idea - I think its the quick reply box causing problems with its fixed width. Can you try clicking on the top little up arrows in the top right hand corner of the quick reply box at the bottom and see if that fixes it? If should shrink the page a bit.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Spooky Mouse said:
Bex does ypur LCD monitor hurt your eyes?.... the one i got with the PC downstairs really hurts my eyes...

Nope, no probs with mine

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Can you try clicking on the top little up arrows in the top right hand corner of the quick reply box at the bottom and see if that fixes it? If should shrink the page a bit.

Just tried it Ian... Unfortunatly it didn't work.. does the site require any explorer add ons or anything? perhaps im missing somthing as it wasnt long ago i reinstalled this OS so i havent downloaded any thing like Shockwave.. could this be the fault maybee?.. an explorer add on?

its just that the centre section will not resize to fit the screen .. just the forum pages Ian..

Reaction score
It does it on the Reviews main menu too....

The center <--- (have i suddenly turned American.. I seem to have started spelling it this way for some reason..lol) ..Oh well back to the beggining...
The Centre section sits at the bottom of the the blue left hand bar.. leaving the centre of the screen blank untill you scroll all the way down..

The Articles Section is Super... there seems to be nothing wrong with it.. it all loads fine and seems to resize too
Ian does this section have different Parameters (why did i use Parameters.. I don't even know what the word means) .. Or different Settings?

Last edited:

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi Spooky

I have the same problem when I go on the site via works PC/network. Problem is we are not able to alter any settings. Like you, it involves a great deal of scrolling about and the text in the various posts shrink widthways. I can read it OK but it's a bit of a nuisance. No problems ever at home though!

Gabs x

Reaction score
Gabriella.. thanks..

This must mean that the forum site is ok (A big relief for Ian..lol) and it is a setting in Explorer that is the Cause.... if your PC at home is fine and the one at work displays the same symptoms as mine... Centre section not resizing..

Allthogh im still stumped as to why this is the Only site it does it on .. As this Gives an indication of a site problem
But on the other hand when others have no problems on certain PCs this tells me that it is an Internet Explorer setting does anyone use Firefox?.or any other browser to access the forum?.. Any different?

Nice to you again Gabs..:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think this is something I'll have to change in the next few weeks. It should resize ok in FireFox, but Internet Exporer had some problems when the centre column is too wide - its noting at your end though I don't think. Its something I'm going to have to try and code a work-around for once I'm finished uni for the year.

I'm definitely going to make a "lite" version of the forums so that the sidebars are gone for the forum section, as that should solve most of the problems :)

Reaction score
Ian i think that the sidebars would be usefull if they were functioning correctly and not causing the problem as they are quite handy shortcuts to other things on the site... but if there are the cause of the evil.. then Ce la'Vie.. (So is Life)..if that was wrong im not French allthough i do like French bread..:)

Ian i think that your right.. Somthing to do with the fixed width settings for the center section as it seems to push everything else over to the right .. the Poll, Search, Sponsor Bar

I was also mistaken Ian it dosent seem to be just the Forums .. i went Articles.. Internet... And the same Happens..

Thanks for looking into it Ian and Hope UNI goes well.... :)..

Reaction score
just been looking at the page... Could the Right hand Bar be set Too far to the right? .. or the top right hand "Browse our forums "advert placeing pushing it out... as it seems to start to load fine where all fits then the next instant ... Bang.. Bottom of the page .. and Over to the right!

Hope that helps...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've made a little change based on some help from another forum - can you press shift+F5 on this page and see if that has fixed it? (I made a new CSS file so it needs to be refreshed).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Whatever your did ... CHANGE IT BACK.

I get the right collumn infringing over the top of replys ... no scroll bars so I cannot see what is being written over there.

:(

:eek:

Ask a Question