Sita Sings the Blues

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"Q: What drove you to create "Sita Sings the Blues"?
A: Sita Sings the Blues is a musical, animated personal interpretation of the Indian epic the Ramayana. The aspect of the story that I focus on is the relationship between Sita and Rama, who are gods incarnated as human beings, and even they can't make their marriage work.

And then there's my story. I'm just an ordinary human, who also can't make her marriage work. And the way that it fails is uncannily similar to the way Rama and Sita's [relationship fails]. Inexplicable yet so familiar. And the question that I asked and the question people still ask is, "Why"? Why did Rama reject Sita? Why did my husband reject me? We don't know why, and we didn't know 3,000 years ago. I like that there's really no way to answer the question, that you have to accept that this is something that happens to a lot of humans. (source)"

Well worth the download. You can use bit torrent to save bandwidth and cock a snook at folk who think bit torrents are illegal.

Enjoy.

nod.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com...ings_the_Blues_and_two_Minute+Meme+animations

Q. But you’re not relying solely on the copies — I watched a video of talk of yours, where you were talking about giving away copies, you know, kind of routing around that cost you were talking about, and then…

A. Well I’m not giving away copies. People are free to make their own copies. There’s a big difference between giving away copies and, and not punishing people for making their own copies. I don’t freely give away copies of the DVD. Like I say, those cost me money to make, and they’re a real hassle for me to make. But it’s absolutely no hassle for me for someone else to make a copy — or several copies.

A. Yeah, and I’ve benefitted so much from allowing — I don’t even want to say “allowing” — but, being friendly. I allow and encourage commercial use, but I prohibit monopolies. That’s the point of the copyleft license. So… any sort of business model that relies on monopoly is not going to be able to commercially exploit “Sita Sings the Blues” because you can’t have a monopoly on it.
But anyone that doesn’t rely on monopoly is welcome to “exploit” it. And the result has been these fabulous uses that technically are commercial — or even if they’re not commercial yet, they have potential to be commercial — that are just awesome! Like the MonkeyLectric bicycle wheel which has an LED array that you can put on your bike wheel, and when the bike wheel spins, it turns it into a video screen. They used “Sita Sings the Blues” in developing this, and they can ship it with “Sita Sings the Blues” already programmed into it. And that’s fine. That does not take away anything from me. Nobody’s going to see a clip on a bicycle wheel and then say “I don’t see the movie now, I’ve seen ten seconds on the bicycle wheel.” But it is awesome, it honors the work on a bike wheel.

A. I forgot to mention that the official soundtrack has just been completed, and I just got a box of CDs yesterday, and the whole thing should be available online very, very soon. Like next week it should be available online.

And I will say, that you know I had to produce this CD, and my terms for producing it were that all the contemporary artists release their tracks under a ShareAlike license, and they did.

Q. Wow. That’s fantastic. Great.

A. Yes, that’s fantastic. We still hope that people buy it “normally,” so we can give all that money to the living musicians. And it also has all the Annette Hanshaw tracks, and for those we have to pay license fees, but everything else that comes in goes to the living musicians.

Now that is what I call a very interesting lady.
nod.gif

Ask a Question