Simple, free video editor for Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone got any recommendations for a free, simple video editor for Windows? Something that can crop, cut and re-encode - very basic stuff.

Windows Movie Maker was good for things like this, but MS have pulled the download and really don't want people to continue using it. I know it's still out there with a search, but I'm using this as a hint to move on to something else.

I've found lots of apps when Googling, but none of them are stand-out options. Has anyone got any basic video editing software suggestions, before I delve in and just start trying things?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers @Taffycat - that was one of the articles I was reading, however the recommendations see to get really poor reviews elsewhere on the net. In fact, it seems like almost all free video editing apps do - which is unusual.

I'll give the "Shortcut" app a try this week and report back :).

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Best free video editor | 17 best free video editing software 2017

So why is it included in this round up? Well, aside from the fact that you can create animated features or shorts on Blender, it also has a fully fledged video editor built-in. Clips can be placed on a timeline, edited for length, overlapped with others, and joined with a range of transitions or fades, just like on any other package.

The fact that you get a package like this for free is….well, ridiculous.

Blender 2.78a

:D

Reactions: Ian

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I also need a freebie video editor, bad play on MS's part not supplying Movie Maker any longer :mad:

So thanks Mr Barbaric, I shall give the blender a whirl :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I also need a freebie video editor, bad play on MS's part not supplying Movie Maker any longer :mad:

So thanks Mr Barbaric, I shall give the blender a whirl :)

Blender is not exactly the most intuitive of programs but it works well. I played around with it a little on my old AMD set up where it ran quite slowly. On my new pc it should be relatively nippy. These guides might be helpful, the first has some fairly important info in the first half of the article. There are plenty of guides and information out there on the net be aware that different versions of Blender have different GUI's.

https://danielpocock.com/quick-start-blender-video-editing

http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2012/07/27/Tutorial-Simple-video-editing-using-Blender-26x.aspx

Just for interest

http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/10-best-commercials-made-with-blender-in-2013

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question