Sidebar is gone

No it doesn't matter. No matter what I do Sidebar will not start. When i go
to Start and type sidebar, it clicks but nothing ever appears.
Thanks for your response though!

KristleBawl

Have either of you tried this?

Control Panel > Programs > either "Add gadets to sidebar" or "Uninstall a
gadget"

Does the gadget list window show up? If so, try to uninstall all your
gadgets (right-click on each one) and restart, then go back to the other
Sidebar control and see if the greyed out buttons are active again. If so,
you can restore the original Vista Gadgets from there but you'll have to go
back to the Gallery and find any others you use all over again.

KB

"andybene" wrote in message
No it doesn't matter. No matter what I do Sidebar will not start. When i
go
to Start and type sidebar, it clicks but nothing ever appears.
Thanks for your response though!

Hi Guys,

I guess you've also tried the fix I posted a few months ago on this form ?
(search for 'sidebar' and 'ATL.DLL').

Craig.

wow...! I don't know why, but it comes out again after I followed your
sugggestion.
It feels well! Thanks again!

SStarman said:
Hi Guys,

I guess you've also tried the fix I posted a few months ago on this form ?
(search for 'sidebar' and 'ATL.DLL').

Craig.

same here! Have gone through every single check as mentioned above, but no
recovery yet at all. Was really frustrated initially, but not any more
knowing you all suffering the same. Hope anybody can fix or get some fruitful
help from MS regarding it.

Thanks Guys!
Razi

same problem here. I've tried all that was adviced here, but nothing helps...
hope that someone will have a solution for me soon ...

b.

Dear Star,

Have been reading all the threads that show that your solution worked out
for most of our mates, but here at my end,I have had tried everything you
suggested, but couldn't recover it up still. I am not sure which 'ATL.DLL' to
register/unregister, as there are too many i.e., 2-3 in number stored in my
Comp. The ones store in Sidebar's Directory; I have played and followed the
exact sequence of 'Unreg' and then 'Reg', but still it fails on 'Reg'
command('Unreg' works fine for all the files). Can any one among you guys
kindly suggest me which one exactly to attempt or alter exactly? What could
happen if i deleted rest of all such files (atl.dll) in my computer?

Looking forward to hear from you guys.

Razi
SStarman said:
Hi Guys,

I guess you've also tried the fix I posted a few months ago on this form ?
(search for 'sidebar' and 'ATL.DLL').

Craig.

i get teh same problem as well excpet i checked if the process runs at
startup and it does for about 3 seconds and then dissapears, ive tried
manually starting it and ive tried a restore and i get this error
"0x81000101" soo its kinda weird i just installed the update that was
released in august and still no help its gone:(

Finally I recovered my Sidebar typing sidebar.exe.
First you have to click on start menu, tjhen type sidebar.exe on the search
space and enter.

GAZZASBEER

OhmEye said:
I am having the same issue. I first noticed yesterday after applying major
Windows updates, so assumed the problem started with that. I see now that
others have been having this problem for a while.

GAZZASBEER

Todd Warnke said:
After a couple of weeks running Vista, my Sidebar suddenly is gone. It was
here this AM, but now it's not. When I go to Programs/Accessories/Windows
Sidebar and click, nothing happens. When I go to Contol Panel/Windows
Sidebar I can see that Sidebar is set to start at Windows Start up but the
maintenance options are greyed out. Ideas?

I had the same problem as all of you, but managed to get it working again.

Try this: Open Task manager and go to processes, scroll down until you see
sidebar exe (normally two of them), click to end processes, the warnings will
flash up but don't worry. Then go to your sidebar icon (ive pinned mine to
the start menu), click as normal and it should then start!

Seems that the sidebar is temperamental and starts when it wants to, but if
it wont, follow the above steps, works every time for me.

Hope it helps??

pj

Does anyone know if any Vista updates have actually resolved this? Does
anyone have a solution? My sidebar disappeared a couple of days ago and the
suggestions above have not brought it back. My PC isset to download updates
automatically which I guess answers my first question!

Is anyone else still experiencing this?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

What happens when you go to Start/Programs/Accessories and click "Windows Sidebar"

Does anyone know if any Vista updates have actually resolved this? Does
anyone have a solution? My sidebar disappeared a couple of days ago and the
suggestions above have not brought it back. My PC isset to download updates
automatically which I guess answers my first question!

Is anyone else still experiencing this?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

See if this post from Craig helps.

<quote>

I've also had this problem for the last few weeks, though happily I fixed it today.

This was in part with a call with MS support, and in part watching what sidebar.exe was doing with Procmon. I'm not certain that my reasoning is correct below, but you may get some mileage from it.

I suspect that an application had installed a duff copy of atl.dll (in my case I think it was from HP's IPaq Choice Points program - as procmon showed a reference to an HP directory when sidebar tried to start up).

I uninstalled the HP program to be sure. In the same way you may wish to search your machine to see if you have multiple copies of atl.dll before starting.

Upon the advice of MS support, I unregistered a couple of sidebar DLLs. This took me a little while as I didn't realise the DLL's are in Program Files\Windows Sidebar directory (windows search never found them for me, which is a touch annoying). Anyway to do this bit:

1. Start an elevated privileges command prompt
2. cd "\Program Files\Windows Sidebar"
3. regsvr32 -u sbdrop.dll
4. regsvr32 -u wlsrvc.dll

I then tried to re-register them, but it wouldn't work - I just got an error message. After some hunting around, I decided to first register (re-register ?) ati.dll. I didn't try to unregister it first, and as I definitely only had one ati.dll now, I didn't have to go looking for it to check I had the right one - but you might have to. I don't know what will happen in you unregister ati.dll so be warned.

So the next bit as I did it is:

1. From the same elevated command prompt (still in the C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar) directory
2. regsvr32 ati.dll
3. regsvr32 sbdrop.dll
4. regsvr32 wlsrvc.dll

With the ati.dll done first, the Sidebar DLLs registered fine. Then I tried to start sidebar.exe again and it came up fine.

I had over previous weeks deleted all the sidebar settings and such like in an attempt to get it working, so I guess that might still be necessary as well - but my feeling is that it's really to do with the dll's above and the settings removal isn't important.

Hope it works out for you, because this was annoying the heck out of me for weeks.

Craig.

</quote>

Ref: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/msg/e367f1868f0de080

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
From: SStarman <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 06:24:54 -0800
Subject: RE: Sidebar will not launch

Nothing at all!

Ramesh said:
What happens when you go to Start/Programs/Accessories and click "Windows Sidebar"

Does anyone know if any Vista updates have actually resolved this? Does
anyone have a solution? My sidebar disappeared a couple of days ago and the
suggestions above have not brought it back. My PC isset to download updates
automatically which I guess answers my first question!

Is anyone else still experiencing this?

pj

Thank you very much, this worked - once I typed atl.dll and NOT ati.dll.
Somewhere in Craig's instructions atl changed to ati.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

You're welcome!

Thank you very much, this worked - once I typed atl.dll and NOT ati.dll.
Somewhere in Craig's instructions atl changed to ati.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

daric127

This has happened to every user of Vista I have spoke with. I have not been
able to "fix" the issue with any of the suggestions below. My occurrence was
simultaneous to the reboot following the Vista SP1 update. Google Desktop has
a sidebar that works in its place if you don't mind having Google all over
your computer (annoying).