Windows Sidebar

Ed.

My Windows Sidebar is gone and don't know what happened to it. It won't come
back going to Start, All Programs, Accessories and Windows Sidebar.

Any else I might try?

Thanks,
Ed.

Steve

Ed. said:
My Windows Sidebar is gone and don't know what happened to it. It won't
come back going to Start, All Programs, Accessories and Windows Sidebar.

Any else I might try?

Thanks,
Ed.

You may want to look into Google Gadgets. I like it better than Windows
Sidebar myself.

Google Gadgets does not slow my PC start-up/shut-down like Windows Sidebar
did.

Not what you asked I know. Accept my apologies for the thread hijack.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi Ed,

See if this post from Craig helps.

<quote>

I've also had this problem for the last few weeks, though happily I fixed it today.

This was in part with a call with MS support, and in part watching what sidebar.exe was doing with Procmon. I'm not certain that my reasoning is correct below, but you may get some mileage from it.

I suspect that an application had installed a duff copy of atl.dll (in my case I think it was from HP's IPaq Choice Points program - as procmon showed a reference to an HP directory when sidebar tried to start up).

I uninstalled the HP program to be sure. In the same way you may wish to search your machine to see if you have multiple copies of atl.dll before starting.

Upon the advice of MS support, I unregistered a couple of sidebar DLLs. This took me a little while as I didn't realise the DLL's are in Program Files\Windows Sidebar directory (windows search never found them for me, which is a touch annoying). Anyway to do this bit:

1. Start an elevated privileges command prompt
2. cd "\Program Files\Windows Sidebar"
3. regsvr32 -u sbdrop.dll
4. regsvr32 -u wlsrvc.dll

I then tried to re-register them, but it wouldn't work - I just got an error message. After some hunting around, I decided to first register (re-register ?) ati.dll. I didn't try to unregister it first, and as I definitely only had one ati.dll now, I didn't have to go looking for it to check I had the right one - but you might have to. I don't know what will happen in you unregister ati.dll so be warned.

So the next bit as I did it is:

1. From the same elevated command prompt (still in the C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar) directory
2. regsvr32 ati.dll
3. regsvr32 sbdrop.dll
4. regsvr32 wlsrvc.dll

With the ati.dll done first, the Sidebar DLLs registered fine. Then I tried to start sidebar.exe again and it came up fine.

I had over previous weeks deleted all the sidebar settings and such like in an attempt to get it working, so I guess that might still be necessary as well - but my feeling is that it's really to do with the dll's above and the settings removal isn't important.

Hope it works out for you, because this was annoying the heck out of me for weeks.

Craig.

</quote>

Ref: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/msg/e367f1868f0de080
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
From: SStarman <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 06:24:54 -0800
Subject: RE: Sidebar will not launch

Winhelponline.com blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

My Windows Sidebar is gone and don't know what happened to it. It won't come
back going to Start, All Programs, Accessories and Windows Sidebar.

Any else I might try?

Thanks,
Ed.

Ed.

Thanks to all for the replies. I will check them all out and hopefully get
it going.

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general