C.Frank,

You want to enable it or disable?

Tell us more about your hardware.
Is it ACPI based BIOS?
Or does it support APM?

KM

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Also, you did not provide us with enough information about your image and device. Is it ACPI based? Or does it support APM?
Guess again :)
Quote:"I want enable this message. My hardware is ACPI based."

Regards,
Slobodan

K

KM

I probably got blind or just doing too many things at one time :)

The real problem, IIRC, is that the support for great PowerdownAfterShutdown reg.key was removed even from Win2000.
I am not sure if there is any good way to enable the message back on XP with ACPI HAL.

maybe a switch to Standard PC HAL may help but than it may end up with a BSOD.

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Konstantin,
maybe a switch to Standard PC HAL may help but than it may end up with a BSOD
In fact it might help, and if he change kernel/HAL pair he should not see any problems. Standard PC work everywhere even on ACPI
machines :) (I tested it countless times.)

So if he do not need fancy multiprocessor support and power management he might shift from ACPI to Standard PC. (At least he will
have image that work on all computers)

Regards,
Slobodan

K

KM

Slobodan,
In fact it might help, and if he change kernel/HAL pair he should not see any problems. Standard PC work everywhere even on ACPI
machines :) (I tested it countless times.)

Although I successfully tested it many times here, this may not be exactly true.
A quote from MS KB: "Note You can only change or update your HAL from Device Manager under Computer Type when you change from a
Standard PC HAL to an ACPI HAL. If you change from an ACPI HAL to a Standard HAL, you may not be able to start your computer.".

This is not the same as "installing" XP (or running XPe through FBA) but still sounded scary.
I guess there may still be some computers working with only ACPI HAL.
So if he do not need fancy multiprocessor support and power management he might shift from ACPI to Standard PC. (At least he will
have image that work on all computers)

Yup. I agree.

Regards,
Konstantin

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Konstantin,
A quote from MS KB: "Note You can only change or update your HAL from Device Manager under Computer Type when you change from a
Standard PC HAL to an ACPI HAL. If you change from an ACPI HAL to a Standard HAL, you may not be able to start your computer.".

Come on, we are in XPe world here. He should do this in TD of course.

Regards,
Slobodan

Ask a Question