Shortcut Keys

A

Arpan

I am working on Windows 2000 Professional. A user can assign a shortcut key to any program by clicking Properties--->Shortcut--->Shortcut key. With the focus on the Shortcut key textbox, if the key 'Q' is pressed, the program is assigned the shortcut key Ctrl+Alt+Q. What I would like to know is can't the shortcut be something other than Ctrl+Alt+Key Pressed like, say, Ctrl+Q or Alt+Q? Why is the combination always Ctrl+Alt? Why not something else? Function keys like F1, F2, F3 etc. can be used but exclude them & some other special keys like Esc, Tab, Enter etc...

Thanks,

Arpan

S

Sparker9

Both the Ctrl key and the Alt key already have many assignments cast in stone. Look in Windows Help Index for "Shortcut keys, for Windows 2000", where you'll see what is already assigned. Note that the Alt key is used to access many of the menu commands, which is one reason that it's off limits.

As an alternative, you may be interested in a freeware utility called Winkey. This allows the Windows Key ("WinKey") to be programmed to launch any executable file, or open any folder. See this page for a link to the author's website:

http://winsupportcenter.com/freeware.htm

--
Snarky Parker
.......Please respond to newsgroup only (e-mail is blocked)
Win2K SP4/IE6 SP1/Office XP SP2/Nero 5.5.10.50
Intel Celeron-S 1300 MHz, 512 MB Ram

I am working on Windows 2000 Professional. A user can assign a shortcut key to any program by clicking Properties--->Shortcut--->Shortcut key. With the focus on the Shortcut key textbox, if the key 'Q' is pressed, the program is assigned the shortcut key Ctrl+Alt+Q. What I would like to know is can't the shortcut be something other than Ctrl+Alt+Key Pressed like, say, Ctrl+Q or Alt+Q? Why is the combination always Ctrl+Alt? Why not something else? Function keys like F1, F2, F3 etc. can be used but exclude them & some other special keys like Esc, Tab, Enter etc...

Thanks,

Arpan

Ask a Question