short connection times onVPN

JMiller

Hi all,
I am having a problem with a VPN connection timing out
after about 5 minutes. Set up is: remote machine running
WinXP Home, cable modem, accept incoming calls set up
through wizard. Local machine WinXP Home connection set up
through wizard, cable modem. Connection makes OK, mapping
of remote drive OK, I am able to get into the areas I need
to on the remote machine but only seem to have about 5
minutes or less then the connection breaks. Any ideas or
settings I am missing?
Thanks in advance.
John Miller

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi John,

I have some suggestion to the problem.

1. Apply all available updates from the Windows Update web site of the 2
computers.
2. Disable all firewall applications on both computers
3. If the VPN disconnects from computer A to B, let's try to see whether
the connection still will drops from B to A

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.