Jeb Blakeley

My windows explorer often "just goes away". I can
restart it and it works fine until it decides to
disappera agin. A few times an hour.
In the event viewer I get Event ID 1002, Source =
winlogon. The message is

The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was
restarted.

Any hints on finding the source of this problem?

Thanks,
Jeb

G

----- Jeb Blakeley wrote: ----
My windows explorer often "just goes away". ... Event Source: Winlogon ... Event ID 1002

I've been dealing with this problem for a month since getting a new machine. I finally fixed it yesterday, but still don't know the cause for certain. It happened most often when and Explorer window was open, particularly if browsing a folder with a large number of images. However, I first discovered it when trying to copy some large files from my old machine...the shell would terminate and leave the partly copied file on the new machine

Although I have no proof, I believe the problem originated with transferring files and settings from the computer the new one replaced using the File and Settings Transfer Wizard. The compressed file was nearly 20 GB and installed normally. I worked with Microsoft Assisted Support for 3 weeks, including escalation to second tier suppot. Suggested solutions included remove virus from the system, update non-current drivers, disable all non-Microsoft services in msconfig, update required to Roxio Easy CD Creator, create a new admin user and log on there, start in Safe Mode (problem does not occur in Safe Mode, but does occur in Safe Mode with Networking), install a new copy of Windows on second drive (not possible here...second drive is larger than 131 GB, and those drives aren't supported until SP1), remove network cards and modems to remove and then rebuild a corrupted TCP/IP stack, and perform repair installation of Windows. None of that worked

I used a command prompt to XCOPY all my user files (including application data stored in the Program Files folders) to the second drive, then reinstalled Windows on the primary drive by booting from the CD, creating a new installation, deleted all partitions on the main drive, recreated a new partition and formatted it (not quick format), and installed Windows from scratch. When the installation was complete (including SP1 and all Windows Updates), I recopied only the essential files back to the main drive. I reinstalled applications, first Office, then others, saving restore points after each successful install. So far, none of the application installations have caused the problem to reoccur. My system has been running since yesterday afternoon without having Explorer stop unexpectedly

The only significant difference between the original installation and the current one which works properly was that this time I did not attempt to use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard. A complete installation is a genuine pain. However, it was the only option of all the ones listed that seems to have solved the problem

You are not the only one with this problem...there are several posts on this forum (including an earlier one of mine) from users experiencing the same symptoms. You will find even more if you search Google Groups. If this works for you, I'd be interested in knowing if you also ran the File and Settings Transfer Wizard before you noticed the problem. Can post back here or email to m a r k r a v e r y @ h o t m a i l . c o m (without the antispam spaces, of course). Same for anyone else who experiences this after running the F&ST Wizard and a clean install of XP fixes the problem. I'll add the info to my open case with Microsoft Assisted Support and perhaps find real solution that corrects the cause instead of just starting over

Mark Aver
Monterey Consultants

Ask a Question