Sharing Eqipment

annonymous

Will someone please advise me in detail what entries I should make to share
the same printer on both of my computers, which are linked with a Router.
I know the entries to make on the computer that is connected to the Printer
i.e. in Printers and Faxes, right click on the Printer I use and then select
Sharing, but I failed to make the necessary entries on the second computer.
Both have OS Win.XPPro, although the second PC has a Corporate version i.e.
it came with the PC.

Roberto

Will someone please advise me in detail what entries I should make to
share the same printer on both of my computers, which are linked with a
Router.
I know the entries to make on the computer that is connected to the
Printer i.e. in Printers and Faxes, right click on the Printer I use and
then select Sharing, but I failed to make the necessary entries on the
second computer.
Both have OS Win.XPPro, although the second PC has a Corporate version
i.e. it came with the PC.

On the "client" machine add new printer > select network > browse for
a printer , point it to your shared printer on the LAN

rgds
Roberto

annonymous

Thank you for the reply. Where do I "add new Printer"? Do I install the
Printer software before I proceed?

Roberto

Thank you for the reply. Where do I "add new Printer"? Do I install the
Printer software before I proceed?

Control Panel >Printers and other harware > add printer
You may be able to use the drivers that are on the other machine if
not, install the printer locally and tell it to use the LAN in the
ports tab not LPT1 /USB.

rgds
Roberto

annonymous

Thank you for the reply. When I get to a Window Specify Printer, which
option do I click on? How do I specify name or URL? I tried everything I
could and cannot get passed the next Window .What entries do I make there?

Roberto

Thank you for the reply. When I get to a Window Specify Printer, which
option do I click on? How do I specify name or URL? I tried everything I
could and cannot get passed the next Window .What entries do I make there?

Select Connect to this printer[or browse for a printer,select this
option and click next]
should allow you to navigate to the printer on the other machine.

rgds
Roberto

annonymous

Thank you for the reply. I can only get as far as the Browse for Printer
Window. I have hp DeskJet 5550 series printer, but when I enter that as a
name for the Printer there it is not recognised. Furthermore there are three
choices to highlight:- Microsoft Windows Network or Home or Main.
Which one should I highlight, when name of the printer you give me is
accepted. to insert. Thank you in anticipation.
Roberto said:
Thank you for the reply. When I get to a Window Specify Printer, which
option do I click on? How do I specify name or URL? I tried everything I
could and cannot get passed the next Window .What entries do I make
there?

Select Connect to this printer[or browse for a printer,select this
option and click next]
should allow you to navigate to the printer on the other machine.

rgds
Roberto

Gordon

Thank you for the reply. I can only get as far as the Browse for
Printer Window. I have hp DeskJet 5550 series printer, but when I
enter that as a name for the Printer there it is not recognised.
Furthermore there are three choices to highlight:- Microsoft Windows
Network or Home or Main. Which one should I highlight, when name of the
printer you give me is
accepted. to insert.

When you ask the Printer Setup Wizard to browse for printers, it SHOULD
automatically show any network printers that are available. If it does not,
then either the network is not up and running, or you haven't shared the
printer in the first place.

Roberto

Thank you for the reply. I can only get as far as the Browse for Printer
Window. I have hp DeskJet 5550 series printer, but when I enter that as a
name for the Printer there it is not recognised. Furthermore there are
three choices to highlight:- Microsoft Windows Network or Home or Main.
Which one should I highlight, when name of the printer you give me is
accepted. to insert. Thank you in anticipation.
"Roberto" <[email protected]> wrote in message

See Gordon's post make sure the printer is shared
rgds
Roberto

annonymous

Thank you for the contribution. I arranged for the sharing of the printer
correctly and the printer's icon In Printers and Faxes is showing a hand. I
had the two PC sharing this printer before but as stupid as I am I did not
make a note how it was done!
I had to remove the Printer software from the main PC, and this action
also removed the printer sharing from the other PC so the network worked
perfectly then. I do not understand why I cannot reinstall the sharing now
when the Printer works perfectly on the main PC!.