SFC demands XP Pro CD2 with XP Home installation

rcoc

The system is Home Media with SP2, and SFC demands XP Pro CD2.
I have followed directions from MS Knowledge Base article 897128 (several
times) to copy the I386 file, edit the Ims.inf and Fp40ext.inf files (change
Professional to Home), and change the registry to point to the I386 file.
Still demands XP Pro CD2.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

Charles

Andrew E.

In cmd try:Sfc /Scannow REVERT or /REVERT
Also,the OS hardware (cdrw or cdrom) by default is D: If you add a hd,the
hd usually gets set to D: & the cdrom is E: or other.However the registry
still
has cdrom as D: This needs to be edited in the registry-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/
software/microsoft/windows,open sourcepath,edit the cdrom listings.Also,even
if Sfc asks for SP2 cd,it'll still run as it should,even with the pop-ups.

rcoc

Thanks very much, I'll try your advice....

Andrew E. said:
In cmd try:Sfc /Scannow REVERT or /REVERT
Also,the OS hardware (cdrw or cdrom) by default is D: If you add a hd,the
hd usually gets set to D: & the cdrom is E: or other.However the registry
still
has cdrom as D: This needs to be edited in the registry-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/
software/microsoft/windows,open sourcepath,edit the cdrom listings.Also,even
if Sfc asks for SP2 cd,it'll still run as it should,even with the pop-ups.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
SFC is looking at layout.inf to check where the files need to come from.
So what file is being prompted for?
Look up that file in layout.inf.
the first number of that line tells you whether file shipped on the cd or
from a service pack.
Not sure what you mean by Home Media.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?cmNvYw==?= <[email protected]>
|> Subject: SFC demands XP Pro CD2 with XP Home installation
|> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 17:57:00 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
|>
|> The system is Home Media with SP2, and SFC demands XP Pro CD2.
|> I have followed directions from MS Knowledge Base article 897128
(several
|> times) to copy the I386 file, edit the Ims.inf and Fp40ext.inf files
(change
|> Professional to Home), and change the registry to point to the I386
file.
|> Still demands XP Pro CD2.
|>
|> Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
|>
|> Charles

TaurArian

You could try leaving the CD in the installation drive and then issue the command for
"SFC".

--
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia