SFC asks for CD always

I am running XP pro with SP1a installed on it.

I have a bought copy of XP Pro and i slip streamed SP 1a onto a cd to ease
installation and that is what i use.

When i run SFC on this machine it continously asks for my CD regardless of
whether it is my original disc or my slipstreamed with sp1a disc.

I dont understand why it will not acknowledge these cd's please help me.

PS. i have checked the hkey/lm/microsoft/current ver/setup/sourcepath
settings and this points to my cd rom.

lost

really need to run sfc, i suspect damaged windows files following a wee
virus but i cannot afford the time to backup and reinstall.

HELP

andy

n .ireland

TaurArian

Try putting the CD in first before running SFC
Place the Win XP CD in the CD drive.
When Autoplay starts just click the X and close it.
Now try running SFC

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Andre,
This depends on how you installed the OS to the drive and how you created
the cds.
If the cds are not labeled correctly they will not be recognized as valid
cds.
If you installed Windows XP, then applied the service pack Windows File
Protection is looking for two different cds, depending on which files it is
looking for.
since the install points were different, then the source files locations
are different.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "=?Utf-8?B?YW5kcmV3IGhvcHBlcg==?="
<[email protected]>
<Subject: SFC asks for CD always
<Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:01:01 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
<
<Hi,
<
[...]

George Hester

In my opinion this is an engineering oversight. One that needs to be
addressed. With a good Knowledge Base article.

Hi there, thanks for the input....i did try to copy the files to C:/I386 and
then point the registry to it...no difference.

Hi MAP,

I did try this....copied the I386 folder to C:\ and changed the registry to
suit...no difference

Hi Darrell,

When you say not labelled correctly, re you referring to the volume label of
the slipstreamed disc. The volume label of the original disc should be fine
as it is bought.

What should the volume label of a slipstreamed SP1 disc be?

R. McCarty

When you copy the CD-ROM contents to the disk drive, you need
to toggle another Registry key value. CDInstall must be changed from
a value of 1 to 0 (Zero). This tells SFC that it doesn't require a CD to
run. The key is found at:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

thank you R McCarthy,

i am in work now so i cant try that but i will let you know

fingers crossed

George Hester

Actually that is not necessary. There are two values that must be changed
and this is documented. They are:

Under here in regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

The values one is a REG_MULT_SZ so this use regedt32. I know that in
Windows XP this is not necessary but humour me.

Name: InstallationSources
Type: REG_MULTI_SZ:
(add this) Value: E:\W2KSP3\i386 with a carriage return

This means Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 is on disk. Do the same thing with
Windows XP SP2

The second one is:

Name: SoucePath
Type: REG_SZ
Value: H:\ENGLISH\WIN2000\ADV_SERV\

This means the source is on the CDROM one folder above i386.

You extract and put the Windows XP SP2 on disk and then match it up as you
see. The SourcePath is your ORIGINAL Windows XP CD-ROM install.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885522

Juan I. Cahis

Dear George & friends:

Is necessary to reboot after modifying these registry variables?

George Hester said:
[...]

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

George Hester

I did.

--
George Hester
_______________________________

George Hester said:
[...]

I would don't know for sure but that's what I do.

--
George Hester
_______________________________

George Hester said:
[...]

Look at the layout.inf at the bottom are the names of the cds that could be
involved.
The dependencies are on how the installation was done.
So if you installed with the Windows XP cd then upgrade to SP1.
You are looking for some files on the Windows XP cd and some files on the
SP1 CD. So there are different volumes labels depending on your original
source of the file, so you can be prompted for different cds. You have to
use two cds or two different sources.
If you installed with slipstreamed media then you only have the one cd to
worry about, but the volume label has to be correct.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "=?Utf-8?B?YW5kcmV3IGhvcHBlcg==?="
<[email protected]>
<Subject: RE: SFC asks for CD always
<Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 04:14:02 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
<
<Hi Darrell,
<
<""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
<
<> Hello Andre,
<> This depends on how you installed the OS to the drive and how you
created
<> the cds.
<> If the cds are not labeled correctly they will not be recognized as
valid
<> cds.
<> If you installed Windows XP, then applied the service pack Windows File
<> Protection is looking for two different cds, depending on which files it
is
<> looking for.
<> since the install points were different, then the source files locations
<> are different.
<> Thanks,
<> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<>
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<> --------------------
<> <From: "=?Utf-8?B?YW5kcmV3IGhvcHBlcg==?="
<> <[email protected]>
<> <Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:01:01 -0700
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
<> <
<> <Hi,
<> <
[...]

Dear friends, I solved this problem, some time ago, following the most
strange hint I got looking tons of Microsoft related information. Here
is what I did, and please let me know if you find any logic on it. For
me, this is the proof that SFC is very buggy, please read the
following:

Before I installed SP2, I could run "SFC /scannow" without any
problem, but after I installed it, I could not run it again. Always I
got the message that SFC needed the SP2 CD-ROM.

But I never had the CD-ROM. I downloaded the full SP2 (266 MB) from
Microsoft from the net, and I unpacked it to a "C:\SPSource"
subdirectory on my hard disk. Then, I installed SP2 from then
"C:\SPSource\I386\Update" subdirectory without any problem.

But SFC never worked again. Thousand times I checked the
"SourcePackSourcePath" and "SourcePath" registry variables, and other
related variables that it were mentioned in this newsgroup related to
SFC, and all were OK. But the problem persisted.

Finally, I found Microsoft's article Q328096, from the year 2002!!!
Although not related to SP2, it is related to SP1 and SFC. It
recommends to copy the contents of two of the Service Pack's
subdirectories to the Service Pack's *base* subdirectory ("I386"). And
that means to copy hundreds of files!!!

In my case, that meant to do the following:

COPY C:\SPSource\I386\new\*.* C:\SPSource\I386
COPY C:\SPSource\I386\ip\*.* C:\SPSource\I386

and then, SFC ran OK!!!

But, does this solution have any logic? Is there a better one? If
this is the only solution to the problem, then SFC is a buggy program,
why Microsoft has not corrected it?

George Hester said:
I would don't know for sure but that's what I do.

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

George Hester

OK that is when installing new Windows Components you get queried for the
Windows XP SP1 CD-ROM. Yes the two are related. But in this case
addressing the SFC issue I had explained one way it can be done. Your way
works for this reason:

"When you add a Windows component, Setup tries to locate the I386 folder
that contains the source files." This is always true be it Windows
Components or SFC.

They go on to say, "To work around this problem, click OK in the message
box, and then specify the correct location of the service pack source
files." Which is kind of funny because you don't have that option in
failure of SFC.

So let's take a look at how they say to avoid this in ythe future. Remember
when Windows is updating from Components or SFC it is looking for an i386
folder. The mkdir is really not necessary. Extracting the Service Pack by
default installs everything in a i386 folder.

So now the article wants you to take everying in subfolders new and ip of
i386 and copy them to i386. Interesting.

I don't know why this is necessary but what works works that's good enough
for me. But for the SFC issue it is not necessary. Change the two registry
entries I mentioned and leave the SP on disk. This is a Network install so
it is keeping the SP on disk also.

--
George Hester
_______________________________

George Hester said:
I would don't know for sure but that's what I do.

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

George Hester

Hetre is a little more information on this. Although the article says it
applies to Windows 2000, I believe it applies to Windows XP as well file
names changed appropriately.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;274215

--
George Hester
_______________________________

George Hester said:
I would don't know for sure but that's what I do.

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Juan I. Cahis

Dear George, my question is, if I do the subdirectory copies that
solved my problem, am I doing wrong? In other words, what happens if I
replace a file in the \I386 subdirectory of the service pack with
another file with the same name but different, from the \I386\ip
subdirectory? Can that be happen?