Setting NTFS cluster size

G

I'm guessing that you can't change the default size of 4k when installing WinXP using the Setup program to partition your drive. I would like to use an NTFS cluster size of 64k since this is the size of my RAID 0 cluster size and I want to see if performance is enhanced by matching the 2 cluster sizes

The RAID 0 array consisting of 2 80GB drives is the only partition and "drive" that I have in this computer and I don't want to have to use an additional partition as a temporary install location or add this array to an exisiting XP build in order to partition it

What I want to do is boot to a command prompt if possible and partition the array with an NTFS cluster size of 64k and then install WinXP to it. Could someone with some experience doing this tell me the command I'm looking for or if there is a better way to do this

Thanks

FluxCapacitor

G

Hmmm, after looking around it appears the maximum size WinXp Pro will allow me to use is 4kb. Ah well, guess my experiment is a bust.

G

-----Original Message-----
I'm guessing that you can't change the default size of
4k when installing WinXP using the Setup program to
partition your drive. I would like to use an NTFS
cluster size of 64k since this is the size of my RAID 0
cluster size and I want to see if performance is enhanced
by matching the 2 cluster sizes.
The RAID 0 array consisting of 2 80GB drives is the only
partition and "drive" that I have in this computer and I
don't want to have to use an additional partition as a
temporary install location or add this array to an
exisiting XP build in order to partition it.
What I want to do is boot to a command prompt if
possible and partition the array with an NTFS cluster
size of 64k and then install WinXP to it. Could someone
with some experience doing this tell me the command I'm
looking for or if there is a better way to do this?

Ask a Question