Services.msc - Which may I safely disable?

I have already disabled the "Indexing Service," as I never use the search
function of the Win XP OS.
When I Run services.msc, I see dozens of services whose value is not known
by me. Is there a listing of vital services that must be enabled, those
that can safely be disabled, and those that we must decide upon depending on
factors we must consider. Our choices seem to be Automatic, Manual, and
Disabled.

Lem

I have already disabled the "Indexing Service," as I never use the search
function of the Win XP OS.
When I Run services.msc, I see dozens of services whose value is not known
by me. Is there a listing of vital services that must be enabled, those
that can safely be disabled, and those that we must decide upon depending on
factors we must consider. Our choices seem to be Automatic, Manual, and
Disabled.

Lem -- MS-MVP

Gerry

Tinkering with services often will mess up your computer. Why do you
feal it is necessary?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These services may very well be taking time at boot up, as evidenced by a
Task Manager listing.

I notice, in a Task Manager listing, that services consume both CPU
cycles -- at least on boot up -- and probably some RAM.

Frank Holman

These services may very well be taking time at boot up, as evidenced by a
Task Manager listing.

Ignore "Gerry". He is a busybody who likes to play nanny when no one
has asked for a nanny.

Use Black Viper's website that has already been mentioned. It even
has utilities for playing with services and for resetting everything
to the original settings.

Take your time. There is a lot there to absorb.

Gerry

No Frank I like to provide solutions to the problem not solutions that
do not address the problem.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gerry

To tackle a slow boot changing the StartUp types of a Service is
unlikely to make a significant difference. It could make the boot take
longer. There are a number of other things which you might look at.

Many programmes are set to load on StartUp when they this is not
necessary. You should look within the programme to see if you can change
it so that they load on demand when needed. To identify what loads when
you boot use Autoruns (freeware from Microsoft).

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/Autoruns.mspxWith Autoruns you can uncheck an item, which disables it from starting,or you can right click an item and then delete it. If you uncheck youcan recheck to re-enable the item. It is a much safer approach thanediting the Registryand better than using msconfig.. Another usefulfeature of the programme is that you can right click an item and selectSearch Online to get information about the item selected.Updating third party drivers if it has not been done before can beproductive. You meed to go to the third party web site and not use theMicrosoft updating service. What is your computer make and model? Alsoyour motherboard make and model?Are any devices malfunctioning?Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, SystemInformation. Open Components under System Summary and click on ProblemDevices. Is anything listed there?Are there any yellow question marks in Device Manager? Right click onthe My Computer icon on your Desktop and select Properties,Hardware, Device Manager. If yes what is the Device Error code?Are there any errors in Event Viewer?Have a look in the System and Application logs in Event Viewer forErrors and Warnings and post copies here. Don't post any more than 48hours ago.You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Control Panel,Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaningof the error, information regarding Event ID, Source and Descriptionare important.HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XPhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427/en-usA tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and doubleclick on the error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is abutton resembling two pages. Click the button and close EventViewer.Now start your message (email) and do a paste into the body ofthe message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting fromEvent Viewer.--Hope this helps.Gerry~~~~FCAStourport, EnglandEnquire, plan and [email protected] wrote:> These services may very well be taking time at boot up, as evidenced> by a Task Manager listing.> "Gerry" <[email protected]> wrote in message> news:%[email protected]...>>>> Tinkering with services often will mess up your computer. Why do you>> feal it is necessary?>>>> -->>>>>>>> Hope this helps.>>>> Gerry>> ~~~~>> FCA>> Stourport, England>> Enquire, plan and execute>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>>>>>>>>>>> (e-mail address removed) wrote:>>> I have already disabled the "Indexing Service," as I never use the>>> search function of the Win XP OS.>>> When I Run services.msc, I see dozens of services whose value is not>>> known by me. Is there a listing of vital services that must be>>> enabled, those that can safely be disabled, and those that we must>>> decide upon depending on factors we must consider. Our choices seem>>> to be Automatic, Manual, and Disabled.

Gerry

This is a repost because something destroyed the original formatting. It
is a surprise to find that you are using Outlook Express. Your version
of Outlook Express has not been updated but I do not see why that has
caused the omission of many spaces.

I am sceptical that disabling Indexing will materially reduce the boot
time?

[...]

I do not understand the questions. I have updated to XP SP3 already. I run
Kaspersky Internet Security . I have 3 GB RAM.
One reason that I wish to critically examine "services" is that when I go to
Task Manager Processes, the list is so long that it does not fit on one
screen. I often go to msconfig to stop the startup of stuff I know I do not
want to run all the time, such as CTFMON and Realsched.

My current intentions are to understand as best I can all the pertinent
postings in this forum, study BlackViper.com, and shorten my list of
processes so that they will fit on one screen.

witan

I do not understand the questions.  I have updated to XP SP3 already.  I run
Kaspersky Internet Security .  I have 3 GB RAM.
One reason that I wish to critically examine "services" is that when I goto
Task Manager Processes, the list is so long that it does not fit on one
screen.  I often go to msconfig to stop the startup of stuff I know I do not
want to run all the time, such as CTFMON and Realsched.

My current intentions are to understand as best I can all the pertinent
postings in this forum, study BlackViper.com, and shorten my list of

"Windows XP Service Pack 3 Service Configurations":
and an earlier "Default settings for services":
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../en-us/sys_srv_default_settings.mspx?mfr=true
could be of some use to you.

Gerry

"shorten my list of processes so that they will fit on one screen."

Not the right objective if you want your computer to run correctly.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bob I

My current intentions are to understand as best I can all the pertinent
postings in this forum, study BlackViper.com, and shorten my list of
processes so that they will fit on one screen.

If that is the objective, simply drag the bottom of the task manager
window down to make it big enough that you can see them all at once.

I did use the BlackViper suggestions, in that any services he listed as
"SAFE" I set to Manual, if they were set as Automatic previously. Now my
Process list in Task Manager has approx. two inches of unused space at the
bottom of the listing. I have not yet noticed any problems arising from
changing the automatic load process of these services. So far, I am glad
that I made these changes.

Going to the second URL reference, I saw no "services.msc" in the list of
commands, and have not yet discovered why the reference was on point.

I do not understand the questions. I have updated to XP SP3 already. I run
Kaspersky Internet Security . I have 3 GB RAM.
One reason that I wish to critically examine "services" is that when I go
Task Manager Processes, the list is so long that it does not fit on one
screen. I often go to msconfig to stop the startup of stuff I know I do
not
want to run all the time, such as CTFMON and Realsched.

My current intentions are to understand as best I can all the pertinent
postings in this forum, study BlackViper.com, and shorten my list of
processes so that they will fit on one screen."Unknown"

"Windows XP Service Pack 3 Service Configurations":
and an earlier "Default settings for services":
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../en-us/sys_srv_default_settings.mspx?mfr=true
could be of some use to you.

I am very satisfied with the information on the BlackViper site.

I set appropriate services to Manual or Disabled, and now my list of
processes can fit on one page.

I cannot remember if one of the services I tok off automatic had to do with
the modem function. Or maybe this was something that I unchecked in
msconfig. But now I have forgotten how to get my modem functioning again.